IGNORED

Door Switch Photos

240260280z

The switch functions by simply grounding the circuit(s) when the door opens.

In USA cars, the driver side switch has two connections for grounding two circuits:

1. Dome lamp

2. Door-open-with-keys-in buzzer

The passenger side switch has only one connection for grounding the dome light.

Note: there are wires in the USA harness that are tucked away and not used that are for a "step light" ( a light in the door when it is open).

attachment.php?attachmentid=48533&d=1318124856

Looks like a very creative brake line fitting adaptation to me :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=48530&d=1318124853

Here are the switches after a refresh with an abrasive.

attachment.php?attachmentid=48534&d=1318124857

This is the normally "open" state for the driver side switch when the door is closed and presses on it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=48531&d=1318124854

This is the normally "open" state for the passenger switch when the door is closed and presses on it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=48532&d=1318124855

post-7641-14150816468905_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150816468101_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150816468303_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150816468637_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150816468776_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blue

Those aren't the original OEM style Door Switches.

Those are Car Alarm switches that someone has used to replace the OEM style.

The OEM style has a chrome surround disk that resembles the interior rivets in shape. The OEM style doesn't screw into the sheet metal, it just pushes in and holds with some spreading "fingers" behind the chrome cap.

FWIW

E

+1 on Enrique's comments. Here is a link to several OE switches on e-Bay. They are also available direct from Nissan and others - MSA, BD, ..etc. Note that the 2-wire switch for the right side is NLA from Nissan, they stock only the 3-wire left side switch now for both sides (one wire is idle when used on the right side).

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/eBay-Motors-/6000/i.html?_nkw=240z+door+switch&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_rdc=1

Jim

The "extra" connections on the switches are sometimes deemed unnecessary by owners. The main one, is of course, the Dome Lamp circuit, which is simply a "ground" switch, i.e. it grounds the circuit to complete it.

(By the way, the additional wires for the Step Lamp taped to the extreme ends of the harness are "HOT" when the doors are open. Meaning that all you do is connect your lamp to it and it will be powered in the same circuit as the Dome Lamp.)

The other connections are for the "Key-In" circuit and the Seat Belt Starter Interrup Relay, both of which are only needed for the Driver's door. Whether you need/want those other circuits is up to you. Removing the "extra" connections on a driver's switch to use it on the passenger door is easy, they can be clipped or if you take the time, disassembled and removed.

E

My 72 uses the door switch to activate the key buzzer. I am not quite sure what happened, but my original switches were shot, so I ordered some non originals on ebay. They each only had one wire. Now my key buzzer goes on with the dome light, or with the open doors.