IGNORED

cone filter on SU carbs

raltz

hello everyone, i searched around and haven't seen anything related to my issue,

i was wondering if anyone has ever just removed the stock airbox and air filter and just placed two cone style filters filters in its place...

basically as seen like this kit:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PFFC20/11-4010KI

will it do the same thing? if were to just mount two cone style filters? or is there more to this kit than just the air filters

thank you

SUs need air horns, which are included in the kit. Without the horns you will lose performance, not gain.

But to be honest, I don't know that the gain (if any) from this kit will be significant. The stock airbox is not the limiting factor on Z horsepower.

ok thank you guys for all your input...i was about to order that kit, thinking it would add a lot more h.p...(well not a lot more, but more) i thought it was the more affordable-happy-medium kit, that would bring you close to a complete webber carb set-up

thank you guys

One common upgrade is to use the stock filter housing and plumb onto the snorkle and run to a cone filter in front of the core support. Does a couple of positive things for you. 1. allows the pickup of cooler air from out ahead of the engine. 2. you are still feeding both carbs from a common source. 3. You keep the air horns that are built in to the stock housing.

There was a kit coming together awhile back that was very sanitary. Have we any updated information on that system?

Bruce, this may be what you are talking about:

http://shop.uniquezproducts.com/Cold-Air-Intake-Kit-Datsun-240z-260z-70-75-1300.htm

Am thinking of getting one myself!

Yep, that be the one. Saw it at Canby. Nice lashup and can't quibble about the price. When we put a bullet in our aircleaner efforts we were charging $300 and were losing our hat, arse and overcoat on everyone we sold.