IGNORED

240 teardown scare

mcorso

Hey guys, I scored a 73 240z that i started to tear down, the rear fenders are rotted, passenger wheel well is partially rotted, around the gastank vent thing is rotted, but today I started tearing apart the front end and thats when i got a little scared, i posted the pics of the areas im scared about, should I be? or can I get prefab metal for these areas (ive only seen fenders,hoods,etc) post-25128-14150816156181_thumb.jpg

post-25128-14150816155578_thumb.jpg

Not too surprising for a northern car. There was a guy who posted at Zcar.com that went by Matteo. He bought a Z from Chicago, and it had plenty of tin worm and fiberglass. He restored the metal on his. Search for his posts over there.

Looks like some fairly critical rust in that photo. I would be taking welding classes right about now. I think you will need to do custom cut and fab work there. I know floor frame rails are available but I dont think anyone makes the forward sections pre-fab. That's right where the suspension and engine loads tie in. Not an area that you want failing.

hey 5th, thanks for the reply. the issue isnt the battery box, its actually all there. the issue is behind the front tire coil spring, where the mount and inner fender wall meet. it looks like its where the engine bolts to the frame. its kinda scary, the rest of the unibody is pretty solid. has some pieces cut and welded from a previous owner. this is my first build and its got me a little scared. can you explain onestep? im gonna google now. thanks again

Doesn't look too bad (so far).

I ran into the same problem under my fenders. You can fix the external rust easy enough, but it is difficult to get protection inside the upper frame and other 'blind' areas. One thing that I did was inject Eastwood Heavy Duty Anti Rust into the upper Frame Cavity. You can spray forward thru the opening near the Red Circle on the pic and then spray back toward the firewall by drilling an access hole here (Green Circle).

You can use the Eastwood Heavy Duty Anti Rust in any internal body cavity especially the rockers, inside frame rails and above wheel wells. I would use POR-15 for all other areas that you can see and touch.

post-7312-14150816162408_thumb.jpg

Here is a link: http://www.eastwood.com/ew-heavy-duty-anti-rust-32oz.html

post-7312-14150816161742_thumb.jpg

Edited by ZCurves

zcurves, thanks will look for that stuff, any suggestion on the other picture,? can i get any of this metal anywhere?

Retake the picture, BUT this time use a Sharpie and draw a box with measurements. I have a 78 parts car that might be a donor. I will ship you the piece if you pay shipping + beer money.