correct oil pan - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

correct oil pan

Featured Replies

Hi everyone,

I need some help with determining the correct oil pan. I pulled the oil pan off the engine from my car which was built in 69. It has been repaired on some point so I thought I would pull the pan off my spare engine and use it instead. The engine is from a late 1970 car. After two hours of hoisting the engine and putting it on a stand, and removing the oil pan I discovered it was completely different. Did the early cars have different oil pans? Can I use the newer one? The picture of oil pans from Z Car Source look just like the one from the newer engine. Maybe it doesn't even matter. Thanks for your help.

Carl

post-11951-14150816061021_thumb.jpg

post-11951-14150816061542_thumb.jpg

post-11951-14150816061887_thumb.jpg

Yes, the early cars had unique oil pans. And the "repair" you refer to is probably original. The early oil pans had a braised / welded reinforcing plate on the side of them. See my pictures. If yours looks like this, it is original. And they were black - not blue.

post-4148-14150816062299_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150816062537_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150816063023_thumb.jpg

Edited by 26th-Z

  • Author

Thanks a million!

That's awesome. I am glad I can use the original and that it's not a patch. Can't thank you enough for the information.

Carl

My 01/70 build has the "patch" as well. It's served well for 41 years. You're good to go!

  • 9 months later...

Just realized my 2/70 with engine number #4375 also has the braised pan. Cool!

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.