IGNORED

Flywheel/Clutch/Pressure Plate - tips, hints & suggestions.

twsutt

Okay, I've pulled the transmission and replaced the rear main seal, trans. input seal and trans. output seal - the whole interior of the bell housing was coated with a nasty mix of motor oil, gear oil and clutch dust. Now it's time to reassemble.

Do you use loctite on the flywheel bolts? Red or Blue?

Do you use anti-seize on the flywheel bolts?

What about the pressure plate bolts?

Is the flywheel or pressure plated coated with any kind of rust inhibitor? If so what is the best way of dealing with this?

Should the pilot bearing be greased or oiled or dry?

Sorry about all the questions, but I don't want to have to pull the transmission again anytime soon.

Thank you,

• Like 1

Okay, the FSM mentions using lithium grease on the rear main seal and gear oil on both transmission seals. But no mention in the FSM about using things like loctite or anti-sieze. Nor any mention on precleaning any coatings.

I use the FSM as a guideline, but it's nice to know what others do that might differ from the FSM. In case you haven't noticed, the FSM is a fantastic guide to most maintenance on our cars, but it's far from being concise...sometimes it's good to have the voice of experience.

I replaced my clutch over the winter and just torqued everything to speck. I used a little grease on the pilot bearing, but it was most likely unneeded.

The guy that resurfaced my flywheel bead blasted it and made it look brand spanking new.

Edited by hogie

I use blue loctite on the flywheel and pressure plate bolts. I grease the spline on the input shaft, put a dab of grease on the ball where the spring attaches the clutch arm and don't forget to take your pinky finger and grease the inside of the bushing in the rear of the crank (important). Make sure you get the torques right........you don't want your flywheel coming off. Don't over-tighten the pressure plate.....torque numbers are low and those bolts will break off. Guy

• Like 1

I use blue loctite on the flywheel and pressure plate bolts. I grease the spline on the input shaft, put a dab of grease on the ball where the spring attaches the clutch arm and don't forget to take your pinky finger and grease the inside of the bushing in the rear of the crank (important). Make sure you get the torques right........you don't want your flywheel coming off. Don't over-tighten the pressure plate.....torque numbers are low and those bolts will break off. Guy

I do the same on all counts.