IGNORED

ECU/AFM question for the experts

BTF/PTM

Hi everyone,

I've begun a search for a preferably operational L28ET with all its electronics to use as a swap platform. Many things will get refreshed and/or replaced along the way, of course. Here is my question:

Are there differences between ECM's and/or AFM's as pertains to manual- or automatic-transmission donor cars? Was the automatic transmission controlled by the computer, or were these cars old enough that this wasn't the case?

Thanks, everyone.

The two ECUs have different color outer cases: the automatic is a light aqua color and the 5 speed one is black. I believe the ZXt manual ECU is preferred because it has a higher rev limiter. You can get by with either one, but I'd use the 5 speed unit because it's from 82-83 models which have a fuel pump controller and no dropping resistor for the injectors.

Freaking awesome, thanks to both of you! I'd heard about the limiting resistors for the injector bank, so now that question is answered as well - if I use an 82-83 setup I don't have to worry about it.

Here's another question related to the topic: Did the zx computer require the instrument cluster in order to operate? Again refering to much newer swaps, jumpers are often required to various instrument cluster inputs as otherwise the computer won't allow the engine to start.

you don't need the instrument cluster to get the set-up running. The engine wiring fortunately doesn't really mingle with the body & dash harness. It taps into the body wiring at the relay area in the engine bay. It's been a while since I've played around with the turbo swap stuff, but if you have an unmolested (preferably later) car from which to pull the necessary wiring and accessories, it's easier to see what is needed and what's not. It can be kimd of daunting just to dive in and figure it out. At the time, a friend of mine sorted it all out and passed his knowledge onto the rest of us so it wasn't so scary and we just all helped each other. It did take a few tries and a lot of hours before we got it figured out.

Thanks again, everyone! I may be picking up a fully operational donor car soon, I've got someone who says he has an '81 zxt but he also says it's a manual transmission car, so either he's off on the model year or the car had a gearbox swap at some point in its life so I'm working those details out. I'll hold out for an 82-83 model if it does turn out the car is truly an '81, it sounds like the benefits of those later years are well worth it.

I'm not worried about the challenges that come with figuring it all out, I'm in no rush to complete the project so taking my time and doing it right are my priorities.

Hi again, I have a new question. Unfortunately the aforementioned vehicle was in fact an '81 auto-trans car until it was given a manual out of an '83 model, and I have since found a potential '83 auto-trans donor car. Can an '83 manual-trans ECU be plugged into the engine/harness out of the '83 auto-trans car and run normally other than the difference in rev limiters since both car and computer used the same-year electronics? Thanks!