IGNORED

Transmission ratios & acceleration

robftw

I saw an assortment of speedo drives on eBay last week. Brand new. Don't know if they had the correct one for 4.11 but it's worth a search.

LOL i just went on ebay for the first time in two months, they restricted my account access because i owe them 4$ for a listing.. Oops.

I'll have to send money over to paypal and fix that, it'll be about 2 weeks because of how slow paypal is with bank transfers... darnit

Does the engine red-line change on the 2.7 stroker from the 7K of the L24? That may play into the choice a little.

For reference, I have a 5 speed from an 83 with the 3.364 differential behind an L24. It is slow off the line, but will actually pull strong to about 45+ mph in first gear and will keep up with interstate traffic, 70+ mph in second without hitting the red-line in either case. Third and forth are identical to the stock 4 speed. Fifth, as I mentioned earlier is nearly useless below 60mph, so I rarely use it except on the interstate.

I'm about to replace my 4-speed with a 1978 5-speed and am debating whether to start looking for a 3.545 rear end. I have a 2.7 stroker, with more HP & torque, so I may be OK wth the 3.364 stock diff. I put together this chart to compare the gearing to the stock set-up.

Can you make another one of these with the 4.11 rear end?

Red-line is the same at 7K. The stroker engine puts out 212 HP at just over 200 ft-lbs torque. I'm thinking the std 3.364 diff will be fine because of the extra torque.

The 3.545 diff would probably be better for the reason you state, as 5th gear may only usable above 60 mph.

This little thread is an eye opener for me-especially with JM's statements. I have a T-5 in my car and I never took notice of the ratios and what happened to the rpms until now. I had heard guys like Jon say that the T-5 was not a good trans for N/A motors because of the wide ration between 2nd and 3rd. Watching yesterday I noticed the 1500rpm drop between the 2 gears. I have been very happy with the performance of my motor, but this does help explain the lethargic results I got at the 1/4 track. Not that I am wanting a drag car, but I see now the negative results of this trans. I guess if I eventually go TURBO, I will have the right tranny.