IGNORED

260z carb motor

7datsun5

I have a 75 280z and a 260z engine. I also have a dumb amount of wiring harnesses and none seem to be correct. I'm only looking at running the bare min. of wiring (no ac/heat) and w/e else I can ditch.

I believe I have the correct wiring for my alt. and starter but thats about it. I believe all I need now is the ignition to be wired up which is for the most part where I am stuck. What else needs to be there? There is the fuses, alt., starter, battery and ignition any thing else im forgetting about that is absolutely NEEDED? Any pictures of a dual weber setup would be helpful, along with any advice on what I need to do. I'm really ready to try to crank this thing over.

Disclaimer: I am sorry for being a total wiring noob. I am unaware if I am making any since to you guys:stupid:.

With carbs and a mechanical fuel pump you need very few wires to make your car run. My 260 race car has three wires to the ZX dizzy (+, -, tach), one to the starter solenoid, some lighting wires, gauge wires, and a few wires to the windshield wipers and HVAC blower.

I started with the FSM (download it from www.xenons30.com) and rewired everything from scratch. Anything that wasn't needed was removed and anything that I could improve, I did. I used 12AWG wire and added relays to the headlight circuits, for example. I used a simple blade-style fusebox and even ditched the ignition key since it's a race car. If yours is a street car, you will still need a horn and turn signals, but otherwise you can get down to very few wires. Just go page by page through the FSM electrical section and decide what you need and what you don't. I'd even suggest downloading the '74 260 FSM since that is closer to what you are looking to do.

Get your hands on the 260 and 280 wiring diagrams, take them to a local print shop that can blow them up to blueprint size and make a hybird wiring diagram for your car. It aint easy or fast to do a project like this, and you won't be a wiring knob when you are finished. And you will have a record of what you did so you can fix and modify things later. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How far along are you? You didn't say which ignition system you'll be using.

If you're using the 280Z ignition module and distributor then you'll need to either keep those wires or rewire. Or use a GM HEI module or MSD or similar if you're not keeping the Nissan ignition system. If you really are a total wiring noob, you should probably keep the stock ignition system if it's still in the car. What do you have? Which distributor and which ignition module?

Don't tear too many wires out, at least one of them is needed to drive your tachometer even if you go with an aftermarket ignition system.

Edited by Zed Head

any help guys? I know you want another z back on the road!!

So what kind of help are you looking for? You're not answering the questions that will get you the help. The more details the better.

Edited by Zed Head