A Questionl. 240-280 seats

socal70Z

As far as I know (I welcome corrections):

post-21059-14150815355296_thumb.png

240z seats have pleats or "lines" going horizontal

post-21059-14150815354873_thumb.png

280z seats have the lines going vertical

post-21059-14150815355636_thumb.png

If by series 1 you mean early 1970-1971 seats, they do not have the reclining mechanism on bottom, outward facing side, but have these round knobs on the inward facing part of the seat (As denoted by #6 in the picture).

Hope this helps!

Edited by Decoy12

Ok, I'll help. I describe the mounting differences

The mounting to the car varies by year. 240 seats have studs that mount through holes in the floor supports. You attach with nuts.

280 seat all use bolts through the track frames that go into trapped nuts in the floor supports. 77-78 seats have different rear mount locations, they have vertical bolts, earlier 280 rear frames have angled tabs at the rear, and the bolts go in at ~15deg angle to horizontal.

As far as 260 seat tracks go, I not sure if the early ones mount like 240 and later like 280, or if they are all 75-76 280 like.

All seat bottoms from all years bolt to all the sliders. Its just getting the right sliders to bolt to your floor supports that counts.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the input, my responses seem to disappear and my typing is slow. LOL. thanks LeonV, Jim, and Decoy12! nice input and diagrams. My 1970 240z seats are great except for the lower "seat" part of the driver's seat. I was considering buying the 280 seats, but would much rather get the lower half of a 69,70,or 71 seat. This way the age, materials, etc would "match" what is there in the car. I like the vintage appeal rather than reupholstering them both. If anyone has or knows of someone who has a lower half or just the cover in good shape let me know. Also, mine are black. Thanks again for answering and helping me. I need to post pictures too. Aaron

• 3 months later...

No, they will work fine with a 280z. I used them on mine and they're nice and firm. So people have noticed that the cushion is a little taller than stock - I think that I have that problem too. But I also replaced the springs in the seat bottom and as a result I will be trimming a little off of the bottom cushion to account for the extra height.

Regardless, the MSA kit is well done and the leather kit is superb! See my seat pics in my gallery. Just take your time doing the install.