IGNORED

In WAY over my head with this one!

dj's240

I must say that the time I have owned my 240 has been ummmmm fun! I purchased it the end of last month.The PO had done some imaginitive work to the dash to say the least. I have driven it for probably 250 miles running here and there in it. Here's the deal on this car. 1971 240z AZ car 5 spd runs and drives great, I have headlights and tail lights and an ampmeter beyond that nothing else works on the dash. No fuel gage,oil gage,clock,temp or blinkers. The car is complete less stereo and half of the glove box door and the lense on the passenger side.

I am putting her up for sale I can't figure out how to place an ad on the classifieds here and I don't care too much for ebay. I figured I would start here first and then go to CL.0617111437.jpg

0617111435.jpg

Edited by Arne

If you want to place an ad on the classifieds website associated with this site, you must make sure you are logged in on that site. You use the same username and password as you do here. Once you are logged in, you will see an option to Place an Ad in the top menu bar toward the right side.

How extensive are the wiring issues in the dash? What is the nature and scope of the po's "imagination"? In other words, how badly has he screwed up the wiring? Does the car have rust? If so, how bad and where? What is the condition of the interior? Does it drive straight? Has it had any known or suspected accident history? Do you have pics available of the entire car.....exterior, interior, and underside? To a large extent, the value of the car "as is" will be determined by a propspective new owner's estimate of costs in money and time to make the car "right" (unless the new owner is a liberal, in which he may want to make it "left".....little joke there).")

I don't think the price is too far out of line - IF the body is solid (minimal rust). The electrical issues do put people off though, so that will affect the demand, and may require you to come down a bit.

Nah, don't sell -- unless you really don't like the car, that is. Heck, the electrical stuff isn't all that hard, particularly in a 240. The worst case is that you rip out every wire in the car and start fresh. Many of the connectors can be found here:

http://www.vintageconnections.com/

You can substitute non-original styles of connectors in many places, e.g. where one harness plugs into another. If you have no other choice, you can re-use old connectors by snipping the wires and splicing them into your new wiring. Learn to crimp and solder. It's not rocket science -- videos on YouTube.

Don't know where do the wires go? Download a free copy of the factory service manual here:

http://www.xenons30.com/

I believe you can find wiring diagrams there too.

Your car couldn't be much worse than my 1977 cabin cruiser when I bought it. (Note: Large cabin cruisers live in the salt water around here. Wrap your imagination around what the wiring might look like after a few decades.) I rewired the entire boat from bow to stern. It took me about a day.

Edited by FastWoman

The car drives straight, I put about 250 miles on it.The wiring issues are isolated to the gauges, oil psi,tach,temp and fuel. I have headlights,taillights but no blinkers or hazards, There is no rust on this car, the bumpers are straight,driver condition,glass is good.