IGNORED

Brake light in speedo?

JK240Z

Hi, does anyone know when the little red light in the speedo gauge that says "brake" on it lights up.

Should it be linked to the handbrake or is it just a brake warning light. Just mine has never lit up and wondered if I needed to look behind the gauge at changing the bulb or checking the wiring to the handbrake.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Kind of late on this one but nobody has mentioned the proportioning switch. The

proportioning switch is under the hood, most obvious because it has lots of brake

lines going to and from. There is a wire attached to the middle of the switch. It

triggers by a differential of pressure between the front brake system and the rear,

when the piston travels from the middle position, it turns on your brake warning

light, same as the handbrake light. To test for this, pull the wire from the switch,

if the light goes out, that's the problem. If the brake pressure problem has been

fixed, the switch will either have to be manually reset or replaced.

Jim

Pretty sure that's not the proportioning valve. It's only purpose is to show a failing brake system, by pressure differential between front and back. The proportioning valve is in a different location and does not have an electrical switch inside.

You're right though, that is could be a source of brake light problems. I don't think it needs replacing if it's triggered though, it automatically re-centers itself when the pressure differential is fixed.

The brake check warning lamp relay under the passenger seat could be involved in a brake light problem also.