IGNORED

Toyota 4X4 Caliper Rebuild - Worth It?

Duffman

I just picked up a set of used Toyota 4X4 front calipers for $35 today. Figured to use them for cores and pick up remanufacturred ones for $125 or so from Autozone. Is it worth trying to rebuild the used ones? They look kind of rusty to me, but the rubber near the piston seems soft still. Any thoughts? Better options than Autozone for a new set?

Thanks!

Edited by duffman

Rebuilding them is messy, but not difficult. The question comes down to how pitted (or not) are the bores and pistons.

On the flip side, $125 for a pair exchange sounds like a lot. Have you shopped around yet?

Arne, I checked Autozone, O'Reilly's, Napa and Bap Auto Parts. I am open and would appreciate any other suggestions!

Todd, I have heard that it both is and is not a problem. I also have 14 inch rims and am hoping that they will fit! Will doublecheck and see.

Remember there are two typical Toyota caliper conversions:

1. Swap out the stock Sumitomo brand two piston caliper with a Sumitomo brand four piston caliper (S12-8 from Toyota 82-84 truck).

2. Use 88 Toyota calipers (S12-W from 88 toyota 4-runner truck) and 300zx vented rotors with spacers.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNd32ZJnivCTWvamGHP8NcunsN3gIVdU_DMzzL11uzqTGE9soWpA&t=1

The first is very easy and does not have significant clearance. The second requires more clearance