IGNORED

Headlights on but combo switch is hot.

LostxSoul

Just got the Black Dragon wiring harness and started on it this afternoon. Realizing now that in order to fit the 3 prong upgraded harness, it won't come out through the light can, so I have to cut and connect the wires after fitting the new harness socket into the can. As for the drivers side, I need to still use the old harness so should I cut and butt connect the wires from the old harness to their right place on the old harness before connecting it up? Or is there an easier way of getting around this? Also, I don't want those wires rubbing on the headlight can opening, so any idea on a good way to alleviate that risk?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. For anyone looking to use the Black Dragon wiring harness, it's better used on the RX7 and a much better fit. I realize now that the way the 280Z is designed, it's not very friendly for this upgrade.

Just got the Black Dragon wiring harness and started on it this afternoon. Realizing now that in order to fit the 3 prong upgraded harness, it won't come out through the light can, so I have to cut and connect the wires after fitting the new harness socket into the can. As for the drivers side, I need to still use the old harness so should I cut and butt connect the wires from the old harness to their right place on the old harness before connecting it up? Or is there an easier way of getting around this? Also, I don't want those wires rubbing on the headlight can opening, so any idea on a good way to alleviate that risk?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. For anyone looking to use the Black Dragon wiring harness, it's better used on the RX7 and a much better fit. I realize now that the way the 280Z is designed, it's not very friendly for this upgrade.

Yeah, I tried to warn you...

For protecting the wires, I suggest 3 steps.

1. Heat shrink around the wires

2. Grommet at the hole (Find an any home improvement or auto parts place)

3. Liquid electrical tape applied liberally after getting it wired to seal between the heat shrink and the grommet.

Haha, well I have a reputation to uphold so no video proof will be available at this time.

At the rate this quick "Plug and play" kit is going I'll be lucky if I don't throw a brick through the windshield. I think I've eaten, breathed and gotten in my eyes enough rust that I may get lock jaw if I don't get a shot soon.

Off to the local ACE store to see if I can get some necessities to finish this.

Steve,

Thanks for the info, you were right. Question here... I'll need fuses? So I need an in-line fuse for the wires coming from the Positive terminal? What Amp should I use? Also for the relays, what do you mean? You replaced just the relay or the relay and the plug?

Alright,

Just under a week later I'm finally finished it. Combo switch doesn't get hot anymore and my lights have turned into a white color from a dull tan. If I wasn't so tired I'd do a heel click.... haha!

Dave, I wish you would do a kit for the 280Z wiring harness because I had to do a lot of "customizing" on mine and I swear I cut just about every connector off and reconnected it. The kit is straight forward and on paper, it looks like it's plug and play (it is for a 1st gen RX7) but communism looks great on paper too!! At any rate, if anyone is thinking of this upgrade, just watch the video on what I ended up doing to make it work.

http://youtu.be/HxriwIEqrOo

Steve,

Thanks for your great advise!!! It helped out a ton and I did the best I could. It's ugly but it just needs to get me until winter when I'll be looking at rewiring a lot of the car.