IGNORED

How long to install Grant steering wheel?

240zdave

Our club has an event this Saturday that I don't want to miss. I've been meaning to change out the stock steering wheel for a new Grant wheel, but I have limited time between now and Saturday. I don't want to start the project and not get finished in time for the event. Can anyone give me an idea how long it took them to do this swap? I am pretty handy, but not a mechanic, if that helps.

If you have a puller maybe 10 minutes.

If you are doing it by the hand, it could range from 10 minutes to a few hours in the hospital from wacking yourself in the face when you pull it off the steering column.

Pull the stock horn, unplug the horn connections, remove the middle nut, use a steering wheel puller or yank by hand. Then reverse :)

If you have a puller maybe 10 minutes.

If you are doing it by the hand, it could range from 10 minutes to a few hours in the hospital from wacking yourself in the face when you pull it off the steering column.

Pull the stock horn, unplug the horn connections, remove the middle nut, use a steering wheel puller or yank by hand. Then reverse :)

If you are not using a puller but pulling by hand, leave the middle nut on but loosened near the end of the threads (at least 1 full turn) so that you do not wack yourself in the face.

C'mon you guys..... telling him to leave the nut on takes all the fun out of it. That's one dummy dummy dummy move that everyone needs to do at least once.... Love your smile.... Your dentist does nice work. Nyuck nyuck

I appreciate everyone's concern for my face LOL. I know some guys have had issues with getting the horn to work with the Grant adaptor. Head scratching time tends to turn some of these upgrades into "there's X hours of my life that I'll never get back".

C'mon you guys..... telling him to leave the nut on takes all the fun out of it. That's one dummy dummy dummy move that everyone needs to do at least once.... Love your smile.... Your dentist does nice work. Nyuck nyuck

Make sure the wiper in the steering column is making good contact with the copper ring in the wheel adapter Comrade...

He did not leave the nut on

mike-tyson.jpg

Now's I gots some bling fo' my grille

I appreciate everyone's concern for my face LOL. I know some guys have had issues with getting the horn to work with the Grant adaptor. Head scratching time tends to turn some of these upgrades into "there's X hours of my life that I'll never get back".

Just make sure the connection is good before you tighten her up.

About 10 minutes. You just need to wiggle your steering wheel back and forth and pull.

+1 on having the nut on to catch the wheel before it imprints on your face. You will need to bend the "wiper" (that copper thingum that connects the wheel to the steering column and activates the horn) fairly substantially. Unplug your horns so you won't get the neighbors all upset.

Cheers, Mike