IGNORED

Tire size...PLEASE HELP!

mark81

I just bought a new set of wheels for my '73 240z. The fronts are 16x7 with a +15 offset and the rears are 16x8 with a 0 offset. I'm trying to figure out what size tires my car will accomodate without rubbing on the suspension and steering components. I was thinking 205-215/50 in the front and 225-235/50 in the rear. Would that work? I had a guy at a tire shop tell me to put the new wheels on and lower the car down on wooden blocks then take measurements but I'm hoping someone has encountered these wheel sizes and can save me some time. The car currently sits at stock ride height but I may lower it an inch. Would that effect the tire size as well? Thanks

Too many variables, the advice of the guy at the tire shop is on the right track. Things to consider beyond what you've mentioned so far - how sagged are the old stock springs now? What is the fender opening height now, and with what tire size? Do you have the stock front valance, or an air dam? If an air dam, which one?

Even with all this, there are still no guarantees. You may still need to test fit first...

I have Rota RB-R 16x8 +10 offset wheels w/ 225/50/16 rears and no rubbage. I am also running Tokico 5-way Adjustable Shocks w/ Tokico Springs which lowers the car about an inch. The fronts had a little rubbing issue on the stock valance due to the 8 inch wide rim on 225/50/16 so I had to go with 215/45/16. If you have a aftermarket airdam, it most likely won't rub or will require minimal cutting.

I ran 16x7 panasports on my 240Z, with 225/50/16 and it rubbed a bit on the front valance as well.

If I had this wheel size set up and did not want to use spacers in the front I would try the following (assuming they still sell all these tire sizes, I have not checked in awhile):

This is close to stock height:

195/55/16 for the front: which equates to 24.4 inches (diameter)

225/50/16 for the rear: which equates to 24.9 inches (diameter)

If I wanted to use spacers and go wider, I would use 15mm adapters in the front and do the following set up:

225/50/16 for the front

245/45/16 for the rear

Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

Thanks for all your advice. Much appreciated. I did end up putting the wheels on the car and found there's about 1 cm (3/8's ") or so of clearance in the front and maybe a 1/2 " on the rear from the shocks. So I'm not sure if that's cutting it close or lots of room when it comes to this. If i decided to go with spacers, what's the max width I can go with and still allow my lugnuts to be fastened safely? I do have a type 1 airdam and it seems to have a lot of clearance between the air dam and the wheels and also the fenders and the wheels. It just seems the clearance from the shocks is the only area where it may rub.

Thanks for all your advice. Much appreciated. I did end up putting the wheels on the car and found there's about 1 cm (3/8's ") or so of clearance in the front and maybe a 1/2 " on the rear from the shocks. So I'm not sure if that's cutting it close or lots of room when it comes to this. If i decided to go with spacers, what's the max width I can go with and still allow my lugnuts to be fastened safely? I do have a type 1 airdam and it seems to have a lot of clearance between the air dam and the wheels and also the fenders and the wheels. It just seems the clearance from the shocks is the only area where it may rub.

For safety reasons (if you want to use a slip on spacer) than I wouldn't go bigger than 5mm.

If you use an adapter, then you can use from 15mm up to 50mm.

What size tires did you end up putting on your car?

I havent puchased tires yet. I think I'm going to go with 205/50 in the front and 225/50 in the rear. If the front tires rub I think it'll only be slightly so I think a 5mm spacer would be adequate.