IGNORED

holley setup

spdcrazy

I don't we're going to convince anybody of anything here, most people have already made their minds up about Holley carbs, one way or another.

There are a number of devotee's to the cause....this thread is for them and anyone else who's interested ;)

I've said this quite a few times in various posts that I use a wide band oxygen sensor for all my tuning.

The point is that unless your butt dyno is super sensitive, you can't feel the difference between 12.5 and 13.2 or 14.0 and 15.2 AFR's. And without an oxy sensor you wouldn't know the difference anyway, would you?

I wanted my car to run right and the way I saw it, tuning a carb without an oxy sensor was the same as playing with your ignition timing without a timing light......you can do it but you'll always be wondering "what if". And get it too wrong and you'll collecting bits of engine for half a mile back. LOL

Seriously though, I encourage anyone who wants to tune an engine properly get one. Substituting original parts for alternate parts that were never designed to work with our engines definetely warrants its consideration.

good point. i need to redo the exhaust as it is anyways. and that will be a perfect gauge to replace the clock i think!

what is the rule of thumb as far as where to place the sensor? i have a unknown brand header 3-2 style. then it meshes into one pipe after about a foot.

I think you mean 6-2-1 header arrangement, but this is just being anal.

You could, in theory, put a bug in each header pipe as it leaves the engine, but since you don't have a one carb. barrel to each cylinder arrangement, this would be overkill for us here. (Think triple carb., those boys and girls could do it though!!)

The next order of pipes, the "2" in the above, you could use two bungs, one in each pipe. A dual plane intake manifold would see benefit because you could check the AFR's from one bank of cylinders to the other. I think this is rarely done due to costs and complexity but makes perfect engineering sense though.

The common place to put the sensor bung is after all the pipes come together as one. Obviously cylinder or banks of cylinder resolution is lost but it will give you an average AFR reading which will get you very close to where you'll want to be. This is how I set my sensor up. Modern versions have their own heated sensor so a reading can be taken at start up. You can watch the richness of warm up and even see how rich your mixtures get when you press the throttle to activate the accelerator pump as you drive.

I use the Innovate unit on my 280C. There is a newer version just released and it will be the one I'll be upgrading to as I need another unit for my 240C

Cheers.

i have looked into the innovative setups. really nice. that will prob be the way i go. i have also heard about the sniffers that you clip onto the exhaust, as thoughts about that?

the header looks like the third one down on motorsportauto's site. they title it a 3-2, is a 6-2-1 the same term?

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PEC02

i have looked into the innovative setups. really nice. that will prob be the way i go. i have also heard about the sniffers that you clip onto the exhaust, as thoughts about that?

the header looks like the third one down on motorsportauto's site. they title it a 3-2, is a 6-2-1 the same term?

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PEC02

I have no experience with those. It could depend on how far up the exhaust the sensor will go as too close to the end of the tailpipe might give false readings. There is no such issue with the innovate style mounting points.

Yes, some call it a 3-2-1 but does this make any sense when you actually look at the pipes....six primaries, two secondaries to one tertiary. :ermm:

And some people can't help themselves at all. :disappoin

i'll prob just put a bung in it like you were saying. i know on the z32's, its said that the 02 sensor should be as close to the turbo as possible. prob similar here as well. we will see. tech this is the wifey car, so i can't go to wild with it, tho i absolutely love the mechanical feel of the older z car's vrs my z32. i'm gonna tinker with it today a bit, need to do an oil pan gasket and rear main, as well as finish tuning it up. might do a valve adjustment if time allows as well!

• 5 weeks later...

Ozconnection

I have considerable experiance tuning holley carbs on v8's. What manifold do you consider the best for spirited driving on the street and the odd track day, the clifford or the arizona. my engine is an l28 with e31 head with large valves and ported with 9.5 compression stage II cam, header and hei ignition. My current set up is 4 screw round tops. When they are rich enough to run at speed they are to rich at idle. I am looking at different options such as 4bbl conversion or a su tbi conversion that Tony has told me about. The weather is getting nice around here so i gotta make a decision soon. Any advice would be great

thx

Bob

Ozconnection

I have considerable experiance tuning holley carbs on v8's. What manifold do you consider the best for spirited driving on the street and the odd track day, the clifford or the arizona. my engine is an l28 with e31 head with large valves and ported with 9.5 compression stage II cam, header and hei ignition. My current set up is 4 screw round tops. When they are rich enough to run at speed they are to rich at idle. I am looking at different options such as 4bbl conversion or a su tbi conversion that Tony has told me about. The weather is getting nice around here so i gotta make a decision soon. Any advice would be great

thx

Bob

Bob,get the roundtops running correctly-they are superior to any "down draft" set-up.Or the FI depending on your cam.