IGNORED

Spark plug pictures, good or bad?

yoshi_w

I just changed my spark plugs yesterday and I have 2 questions. First is that it took longer than usual to start up, is that normal with new spark plugs? And secondly, I took pictures of the plugs that came with the car when I bought it, can anyone tell me whether it looks as if my engine is running well or not? Thanks!

post-22360-14150813752756_thumb.jpg

post-22360-14150813753412_thumb.jpg

post-22360-14150813753986_thumb.jpg

post-22360-14150813754553_thumb.jpg

post-22360-14150813755128_thumb.jpg

To do a proper reading, we would need to see into the plugs to see the insulator. With that said, if these were "high-mileage" plugs (5,000 or more miles) they look good from the outside.

It's hard to determine mixture from high mileage plugs because is not unusual for them to be coated with carbon. They appear to be dry with no unusual wear patterns. Numbers 5 & 6 look a little better then the others.

WHen you say the engine was hard to start after the replacement, could you describe what you mean and what other work was done along with the plug swap.

I'll try to take a few more close up pictures later today. As for work I have done so far, I have changed the air filter and fuel filter too. The car has always been a little difficult to start since the choke is jammed at the moment (next on my to do list). However, after changing the plugs the starter went for a while then just stopped going. I was about to give up, but I tried one more time and it started right up.

I did gap the plugs with a proper gapping tool, and I do have ngks in it now. The previous owner put in the autolites.Thanks though for the suggestion! And what does draining the fuel back do? So overall consensus is its looking good? That will be some of the best news on this car so far!

I did gap the plugs with a proper gapping tool, and I do have ngks in it now. The previous owner put in the autolites.Thanks though for the suggestion! And what does draining the fuel back do? So overall consensus is its looking good? That will be some of the best news on this car so far!

Sorry I should have been more specific about the fuel,, when you pulled the filter gas will return to the tank just like when you put your finder on the end of a straw you can pick up the liquid, then when you release your finger the liquid will drop same idea. Have tried starting it again?

YOSHI

Get a Haynes Manual for the year that corresponds with the build year for your car. On the inside of the back cover exists several color pictures of lean, rich, too cold, too hot spark plug appearances. I addition a brief synopsis of what symptoms cause certain spark plug appearances. That is a good starting point. Now next depending on whether your car is fuel injected on carburetted the condition pretty much remains standard. Finally what adustment to make to correct and bad spark plug appearance. Skinner Union and other side draft carburettors generally have the richest charge at numbers 2 & 5. All other cylinders need to be adjusted to match those cylinders. You can get your fuel delivery system to be spot on +/- a degree or so. But by all means GET A HAYNES MANUAL! Good Luck!

To be honest, I've been kind of scared to start it again but if the fuel dropping back is the most likely culprit to the slow start, I'll try again tomorrow! And it looks like I'll be getting the haynes manual. Thanks so much everyone!

John B. is right on. Auto light make good sinkers for fishing, as far as a Z application.

For some unknown reason NGK are the plugs work in these engines. I have had nothing but success with them. For a 240 engine BPR6ES. Now I am running a 280ZX engine and using BPR6EY-11 and again I will not use any other brand. I was told this 11 years ago when my 240Z ran like crap.

I switched from the Champions and all cleared up. And they were new plugs . :-[ Don't waist your bucks on the ''special'' wopper dopper plugs .

Gary

To be honest, I've been kind of scared to start it again but if the fuel dropping back is the most likely culprit to the slow start, I'll try again tomorrow! And it looks like I'll be getting the haynes manual. Thanks so much everyone!

Don't get the Haynes it is not worth it you will just end up getting the FSM. Just order a factory manual you can get them on CD pretty cheap