IGNORED

"Thunk" sound coming from rear end

mazikowski

I have a non-turbo '82 280ZX with (I believe) the R180 diff. Whenever I shift (or otherwise abruptly apply power to the rear end) I hear and feel a loud "THUNK".

From what I can tell after jacking the back end up, one of the half-shafts seems loose. With the car in gear, if I try turning it, it moves a few degrees in either direction. If I do the same thing with the other one, it does not move at all.

Does anyone know what would cause this and, more importantly, what I can do to fix it. I have already drained and replaced the gear lube in the diff.

If one half-shaft moves (rotates) with the wheels on the ground, it could be a u-joint or both (or loose splines but that is unlikely, I believe). With wheels on the ground the half-shafts should not rotate at all, they should be locked solidly on to the wheel.

It's hard to see the u-joint move with the half-shaft on the car, even with a bright light and your head twisted in to a good position. Sometimes you can stick a screwdriver in the joint and wiggle it around. Look for signs of rust at the seal also, I had a dry one on my car and you could see some rusty residue around the seal. It didn't take much movement to get an audible clank/clunk.

You can remove the half-shaft working from the wheel well of the car,with the wheel off.

Edited by Zed Head

• 4 weeks later...