IGNORED

New UK Owner - Californian Import 240Z

Aceman

Hi all!

Just joined up as have bought a 240z Californian Import in the UK. Pick it up this weekend so am very excited!

Seems being a US car, that it might prove useful to be in touch with US owners, seeing as it's all back to front (I'm prepared to be flamed for that comment!!)

LHD doesn't bother me though, as I tend to spend a lot of time in Europe (who, like the US, drive on the wrong side of the road!! :rolleyes: ) so it will prove helpful over there!

Anyhow, have some pics here:

On the trailer: PC095753.jpg

In the garage: P1105873.jpg

P1105853.jpg

Lots of things I want to do to it, but first it's UK convert (so Euro front & rear lights plus relevant rewire) and then rust proofing, more rust proofing, and just for good measure, some more rust proofing!! Got to love UK roads!!

Anyhow, look forward to chatting with you all!

Welcome to the Group! Great looking Z. How nice that you'll now have a LHD Z and will be able to park at the curb and step out onto the sidewalk and not into traffic :)

Dennis

That is one bonus!

Just a bit more difficult to overtake when travelling though!! :)

Now, as long as we have you on the line, clear something up for me. I understand that your drive on the left side of the road in the UK goes back to the days of jousting. Most knights were right handed hence manuvered the lance with their better (stronger) arm?

Truth or fiction???

Nah, we wouldn't flame you for that, were here to help! Got one of these yet?LOL

Just kidding Aceman, good luck with the UK convert.

That is such a cool contraption!! How do you use the accelerator though?? :D

Turbo can fix that! :beer: Congrats.

So long as it's done quickly, it doesn't matter if you can't see eh!! :D

Now, as long as we have you on the line, clear something up for me. I understand that your drive on the left side of the road in the UK goes back to the days of jousting. Most knights were right handed hence manuvered the lance with their better (stronger) arm?

Truth or fiction???

History implies it is something similar, but no-one can be sure.

It is thought when walking down walkways, a knight would require his sword hand to be best placed to defend himself from someone walking the other way. As such, they would walk on the left, keeping their right arm (sword arm) to the middle of the walkway incase of need to defend.

Following the increase in horse transport in the 1700s, it was decreed in early 1800 that carriages should drive on the left. This has since stuck and hence we drive on the left, as do many of the UK's old empire countries.

Why you drive on the right then, is claimed to come from France where the richer societie's horse carriages used to travel around at high speed everywhere on the left, forcing the peasants to move over to the right to get out of their way. Then, come the French revolution, the aristocracy thought it sensible to hide amongst the peasants so they would be harder to hunt out, and so collectively walked on the right. Again, over time, this then became the norm.

As for you guys, that comes from France's ever exapanding empire. It was agreed at some point you would follow French driving rules in return for some assistance in the build up to the war of independance. Something to do with General Lafayette.. You may know more - I never studied American history!

What's the story about the roadster? and where did you get that Z, look familiar.

Welcome from another European

Chris

No idea where it came from - was bought from somewhere/someone in California and imported to the UK. I have since bought from the first UK owner.

The roadster? You mean the little white convertible? I know nothing about that sorry. Another US import I believe though. He had a black one too, with full leather upgrade (rather than factory vinyl) which looked gorgeous!