IGNORED

Front seat wiring question

TeeZee

Greetings from ccccccold Ontario, Canada. My newly purchased 1983 280ZX 2+2, has front seats installed from a 1986 300zx, but not hooked up electrically. can anyone tell me how to hook the seats up? Is there a factory wiring harness already there?- and will it accept the harness from the 86' 300? I'm curious because if there was, why didn't the previous owner just connect the wires?

Thanks in advance. TeeZee

I will be putting seats from a '93 Z into my 240. Unfortunately the driver's seat is fully automatic. There is a harness on the bottom of the seat with 4 leads-two small ones for the seat belt sensor (which I will not be using) and 2 heavier leads. For these latter two I will be running an always hot and return to the fuse box. After the leads make it to the seat, all branching to the various motors occurs from there, so it is a pretty elegant system, designed for ease of assembly at the factory.

Greetings from ccccccold Ontario, Canada. My newly purchased 1983 280ZX 2+2, has front seats installed from a 1986 300zx, but not hooked up electrically. can anyone tell me how to hook the seats up? Is there a factory wiring harness already there?- and will it accept the harness from the 86' 300? I'm curious because if there was, why didn't the previous owner just connect the wires?

Thanks in advance. TeeZee

I'm going to open myself up to ridicule here, but I looked at the FSM for the 83 S130, which you can download here:

http://www.xenons130.com/

I don't see anything that looks like power seat motors in the wiring diagram. Admittedly, the PDF is really hard to read. There may be something there that I am missing.

Hopefully someone here who has an S130 will tell us if they were available with power seats. That was a pretty unusual option on "sports cars" in 1983.

• 2 months later...

Yes you guys are right, power seats started with the 300 ( Z31 ) installing seats can be complicated just bolting them and making sure they slide easy. the only power connection is the seat belt warning. some Z31 seats have about three connections ( turbo models ) air motor back rest and seat, not to metion if they are 50 aniv has the speackers. Every thing is possible but must have knowledge , money , time and patience.

• 4 weeks later...

It's fairly straight forward actually. Go to www.xenonz31.com and download the FSM. Go to the BF section and all the hook up information for both the partial and full power seats are listed there. Basically all the complexity is built into the seat and you need to supply a good ground and +12V fused from the ignition switched side (unless you want power to the seats with the ignition off). There is a circuit breaker - not sure if it's in the seat or not but if you look at the back of the EL section it should tell you where it's located.