IGNORED

ZX Distributor question and part search

Jeff G 78

I just purchased a ZX distributor with E12-80 module off ebay (thanks for the link geezer!) and I got a great deal on it. It's missing a few parts though so I need some help.

Thanks to Walter Moore's S130 distributor chart, I determined that I bought a '81 NA unit with an E12-80 module.

Here is a picture showing what's missing.

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3594.jpg

The rubber grommet that holds the wires for the module is missing as is the aluminum sleeve at the bottom that surrounds the shaft. I'm not talking about the mount, I'm talking about the sleeve that surrounds the shaft. I've seen some S130 dizzies with a plastic sleeve and some with the aluminum sleeve, but I haven't seen one with no sleeve. All of the S30 distributors I've seen have the aluminum sleeve. Can I pull the sleeve from an old S30 dizzy? If so, how does it come apart and attach? I can't see any signs that there ever was one on this dizzy, neither can I tell how it would attach since only the spinning shaft is exposed.

Here are a few pictures of Ron's (geezer) '83 distributor with the sleeve. I took these several months ago, so the angles aren't ideal to see the sleeve. Ron's has the mount attached, but you can clearly see the sleeve as well.

IMG_3582.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

Second, does anybody have a junk ZX distributor with a good grommet? If not, any idea where I can buy one? Are they still available through Nissan?

I can see that the sleeve you are missing on the shaft, if not available cheap at the dealer, is not too difficult to make. It is held on with a single roll pin. Funny you haven't got them yet, I did email some pics to you but I'll measure up the sleeve as well in case you need to make one. Even the grommet can be made if you can't find one. Wouldn't be pretty but all you need is to keep the water out. Have you tested out the advance yet?

I can see that the sleeve you are missing on the shaft, if not available cheap at the dealer, is not too difficult to make. It is held on with a single roll pin. Funny you haven't got them yet, I did email some pics to you but I'll measure up the sleeve as well in case you need to make one. Even the grommet can be made if you can't find one. Wouldn't be pretty but all you need is to keep the water out. Have you tested out the advance yet?

Ron,

I can pull a sleeve from another S30 distributor, but I don't have one handy to look at. One is in a spare L28 buried deep in my garage and the others are at my dad's in Ohio. I saw the hole in the shaft, but I *thought* the sleeve is stationary and only the shaft turns. If they both spin, then it makes more sense.

Ron, can you post the measurements here just in case I need them?

Thanks!

28mm - long

19 mm - outside diameter

11.8 mm - inside diameter

4.4 mm - center of roll pin hole from end

Jeff: yes the shaft and sleeve spin

Edited by geezer

Great. Now I know I can swap the sleeve easily. Anybody have a spare grommet they can part with?

HaHa, you might have to be Canadian to see the humor spelled out on that grommet in my pic. It says RED GREEN. All you need is the handyman's secret weapon...duct tape! LOL

I just checked the spare E1280 module I have. It has a grommet attached to it. Problem solved.

I think I should mention in this thread also that the sleeve on my ZX distributor is made of steel, not aluminum. I just sold another ZX distributor with a plastic sleeve on it. It was of unknown origin and had a module ending in 92 I believe.

I looked up the part number for the sleeve. The proper name is "collar set", comes with the roll pin. Try getting it from Nissan Parts. I would bring the measurements for it to ensure getting the correct one. The part number is shown as 22119-W0400 but is only illustrated as a seperate part early on and then is just part of the entire distributor assembly.

You cannot swap one out from a points distributor. I took a pic showing the difference in size, although it is held on the same way.

I also found 22153-96701 GROMMET If available get a few. Old rubber doesn't seal out moisture as good as new.