Brake question - Classic ZX - 2nd to 4th Generation - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Brake question

Featured Replies

I've got a puzzling situation going on with the brakes in my 82 non-turbo 280ZX. I've had the car for 3-4 years but had not removed the wheels to inspect the brakes. I decided it was time so first removed the front wheels. I suspected that the front right caliper might be sticking. This pad was worn much more than the left so I replaced both sets of pads. I could not get the pistons to retract so decided I should replace them. I got a set ($28 each at Auto Zone) and also ended up replacing the front left flex hose connecting the hard pipe to the caliper. I bled the fronts, got solid fluid flow but when I did a short test drive in my townhome area the pedal was very mushy. It was suggested that I should also bleed the rears.

This is where my problem comes in. I have bled both rears using both a 2nd person to pump the pedal when I open the bleeder valve and also using a kit (small bottle with a magnet that sits above the caliper with a tube connecting it to the valve.) Either way, I keep getting streams of air bubbles in the line. I've pumped the pedal many, many times (refilling the reservoir when necessary) but I just can't get a solid fluid flow.

I'm thinking maybe the master cylinder may have an internal leak but really need some input. I'd like to get the car back on the road (I've been working on this on and off for a month). It has been mentioned that there is a specific order to bleed the brakes: Left rear, right rear, right front and left front. I will try this today and see if the results change.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Best way to reply is either to call, 503-643-9715 or email me at this address: tr4fun@hotmail.com Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone. --Bruce Warner

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.