IGNORED

Differential breather leak

steve91tt

I recently changed the gasket on my differential and ever since I have had a leak from the vent. I removed the vent, cleaned and replaced it with the arrow pointing to the rear for the car. The Royal Purple 75W90 gear lube is level with the bottom of the filler plug with the car sitting on the ground.

There is definitely oil coming out the top of the vent after just a few miles of normal driving. Anyone else had this issue?

Ya all the 240Z I own let some oil out the breather. Well the last one didn't till I found it under the road grime and cleaned it off, so it wasn't really a breather till I cleaned it I guess. It is made of two part the part the screws in and a cylinder shaped cap, you have the cap. Did you take pictures, maybe you have more spill out than expected???

It is made of two part the part the screws in and a cylinder shaped cap, you have the cap. Did you take pictures, maybe you have more spill out than expected???

I have both the vent and cap and both look to be in good condition. I created a dime size oil spot on the floor after I drove it the first time. That seems like a lot.:ermm:

There is a thread somewhere around here for a fix that goes into more detail but here is the basics. Take the inspection plate off. Take the breather off and tap the hole. Put a fitting in there that will thread in and hook a hose to the other side of the fitting. Run the hose up and zip tie it to something. On the end of the hose put a little filter that would normally go on a valve cover.