IGNORED

My body repair progress

cozye

Cozye, I'm really enjoying looking through this post. You're doing great work and I admire anyone who can do that level on there own!

I have a few questions:

When you're cutting out pieces like this repair below, what tool are you using to cut with? A metal cut-off wheel?

cc83d121.jpg

f53f4751.jpg

016051d1.jpg

What are you using to bend the sheet metal?

Lastly, how many amps is your welder? I'm contemplating buying one but not sure what MIG setup is best. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

For the cuts I was using an air powered cut off tool with the normal disc.

As far as the sheet metal fabrication, I used several methods. On the hatch jamb, I used a metal brake and hammered out the corners with a body hammer on a vice. For the rocker patches behind the fenders, I used a combination of a metal brake, pliers, and welding together pieces to get the same i wanted. For the dog legs, I just cut a section out of a tabco patch panel, and had to slot it a little and bend it a little more since it didn't fit perfect. Basically I just figured out how to work with what I had to make the shapes I wanted, got it close, dollied it out a little when I needed to and a small bit of plastic. The rear quarter panel patches I just bent by hand and a brake.

I bought an eastwood mig welder. The had great reviews, were much cheaper than the typical lincoln/hobart/miller home welders, and they have infinetely adjustable/variable voltage settings instead of just 5-8 clicks like a lot of them. High end welders have the same type of variable voltage adjustment which is really nice to fine tune your heat settings when welding thin sheet metal. I bought the mig 135 110v version which is fine for all my needs and strong enough to weld up to 1/4" or so thick.

http://www.eastwood.com/welders/eastwood-welders-1.html