IGNORED

Injection problem ?

Sean Dezart

At the risk of upsetting everyone, especially the adinistrators, I want to ask for your advice on behalf of a French Z owner who has a 1980 1.8l injection Silvia as well.

His fuel consumption has gone up and the amount of CO has risen from 2 to 4. The motor runs cool (oil at 70 degrees instead of 110 and he therefore thinks that the injection unti believes the engine is always running from cold and gives the engine more fuel just as if the choke/starter is engaged. He has tried fitting an adjustable thermostat which has helped a bit but still the engine needs some insitance before starting. Before the engine fired up first time! There seems to be a loss of power on the road also. He believes that perhaps there is some air in the fuel system ?

He's currently stuck with this problem which is a shame since it is a car in superb condition, especially for someone who lives in Brittany where it rains 1 day in 3 !

• 4 weeks later...

Sean Dezart - Your friend needs to find out which temp.

sensor tells the computer what temp. the

engine is. Sounds to me that the sensor

is reading low - and yes that would tell

the computer that it needs to supply more

gas to warm up the engine. If that is what

is happening then that would explain the

increase in emissons. Try disconecting the

cold start injector and see if milage increases.

The temp. sensor involved is probably located

on the thermostat housing. (not the one to the

guage ). I hope i helped. let me know how it

went.

- Jeff

HI jeff and thanks for the reply

Indeed the temp sender was sending incorrect info.

He had replaced the old (faulty) sender with another he had recovered from another similar car. The 'new' one was adjustable and was adjusted to low. Under advice he has re-adjusted it, run a couple of test drives, fine tuned the adjustment and volia !

Thanks again

Sean