Shifter for 280Z 5-Speed? - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Shifter for 280Z 5-Speed?

Featured Replies

Anybody have a spare shifter for a 280Z 5-speed? They appear to be unobtainium.

I’ve checked with several Z used parts sites, the CZCC classifieds, Craig’s list and ebay. The MSA short shift kit is on 3 month back-order.

Thanks!

I would check with the Z Barn in Knoxville Tn. 800-247-2793. Roger Schmidt

Am I missing something here? I thought that all the '72-78 manual shift levers (both 4 & 5 speeds) were the same. Should be easy to find.

all these shifters will fit, but most from a 280z 5 spd has a shorter pivot length. The longer pivot length will work but I recommend lightly hitting certain areas with a grinder so the longer pivot length will clear the shift rod.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I will check my storage unit tomorrow... I may have a shortened lever that is powder coated that I ended up not using.

Darrel,

I had tried to view your shifter pics on the Hybrid site but was not able to. I'd like to see exactly which portion you were referring to that needs to be ground off. Any chance of posting those pics here?

THanks.

I uploaded the pic, but is pending approval.

If you want to see the marks, install your lever and move from 1-2 a few times, or if you already are using the lever with the long pivot, you will already have the marks showing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.