IGNORED

Number of Mufflers - performance ?

H3nrY

I have done a few searches on this, but not yet found the right answer.

I have a rvs exhaust system on my Datsun 260Z. It was done by the previous owner and has 2 mufflers. (middle and end). it starts with a 6-2-1 header (recently installed) to a flexible that goes to the middle muffler. It then goes to a bend and the rear muffler.

I dislike the sound cause it sounds "metal-ish". I wouldnt be bad if it were a bit deeper and more sporty. (but still within bounds)

Is the middle muffler necessary, performance wise? Will it affect the sound upon removal? A buddy of mine told me, if you just alter the end muffler, you will get the sound you need. If I can , Ill take a picture of the current setup.

Regards

Hendrik

I have a normal glass pack in the middle and a Magnaflow muffler in the rear of my car. It's not too noisy but you can still hear it, and I love how it sounds.

What style of mufflers are on your system? A chambered muffler like a flowmaster can have a metal-ish tone if I am thinking of the same sound you are. Removing the mid muffler will increase the volume level and you'll hear it more on the freeway.

When I had my header with only a flowmaster it was quite loud, especially at 65mph and above. I added the glass pack in the middle to tame the freeway drone and overall volume. When I replaced the flowmaster with my Magnaflow, it quieted down more and I am much more happy with the overall sound. It has a full tone and doesn't get too raspy. It sounds smooth, I am quite happy with it and actually get compliments on it

not sure if this helps

:beer:

Wow , that exhaust is a work of art , honestly you have to junk it if you want to make any serious improvent in performance , for a zed you need a 2.5 inch from collector to rear use nice mandrel bends a middle resonator and a rear silencer, a good exhaust shop should be able to cater for your needs , make sure they take the time to tuck it up tight , but not touching body , use all new hangers and clamps as well . The end result should be a nice grin oh and smaller bank balance .

Wow , that exhaust is a work of art , honestly you have to junk it if you want to make any serious improvent in performance , for a zed you need a 2.5 inch from collector to rear use nice mandrel bends a middle resonator and a rear silencer, a good exhaust shop should be able to cater for your needs , make sure they take the time to tuck it up tight , but not touching body , use all new hangers and clamps as well . The end result should be a nice grin oh and smaller bank balance .

Indeed, it was a home made botch job by the previous owner..

Ill do just that ! thanks for the information !

I've been to two county fairs and a goat race and I ain't ever seen NOTHIN' like that.

LOL

Indeed, well when I bought the car I let i go. I saved up a year later and started to give it some upgrades. there are not many Z parts in europe though, except for the UK :(

But yea, It looks like the exhaust was rampaged by a hammer :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Because I wanted a new sound, and the ugliness of the former exhaust gone,I got it custom made:

stainless steel straight to a twister like muffler in the middle, and to an end muffler. Its got a nice deep ring to it, and looks a lot better:)

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz51/H3nrY_/Datsun%20260Z/P1000719.jpg

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz51/H3nrY_/Datsun%20260Z/P1000717.jpg

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz51/H3nrY_/Datsun%20260Z/P1000716.jpg

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz51/H3nrY_/Datsun%20260Z/P1000718.jpg