IGNORED

I need some working F.I.C.D. Magnet Valves

ZCurves

Hello Everyone,

I am searching for a couple of working F.I.C.D. Magnet Valves from a '77 - '78 Z. These are the two electric solenoids that are mounted on the passengers fender well near the Fusible Links/Relays. One is for the fast Idle when the AC is on, the other feeds vacuum to the dash.

Apparently one of mine has seized up and has stopped working. I would really appreciate it if any of you could hook me up! Please PM me!

BTW - You can tell if you have a good one by passing 12v across the plug - Blue being Positive and Black being Negative. The valve will have a noticeable, hardy click.

Thanks to everyone in advance! :classic:

FAIW, one of mine is seized up too, and it's not really a problem. The one that feeds vacuum to the dash can be bypassed without any negative consequences. It's redundant with the vacuum selector switch (mode switch), as I recall. The other does actually have a function, of course. That said, if you set your idle just a touch higher than normal (maybe 100 RPM), your engine will be happy dragging the compressor even without the help of the fast idle actuator.

My car's previous owner didn't have the fast idle anywhere near to correct adjustment, and it didn't actuate. Even so, the engine ran fine with the compressor. I fixed it and properly adjusted it, and honestly the engine could almost do without the thing.

FAIW, one of mine is seized up too, and it's not really a problem. The one that feeds vacuum to the dash can be bypassed without any negative consequences. It's redundant with the vacuum selector switch (mode switch), as I recall. The other does actually have a function, of course. That said, if you set your idle just a touch higher than normal (maybe 100 RPM), your engine will be happy dragging the compressor even without the help of the fast idle actuator.

My car's previous owner didn't have the fast idle anywhere near to correct adjustment, and it didn't actuate. Even so, the engine ran fine with the compressor. I fixed it and properly adjusted it, and honestly the engine could almost do without the thing.

Thanks for the info, but I think that I am going to see if I can round one up. I always thought that valve setup was kooky - there are more elegant ways to kick the idle up a bit. Bosch engineers should have electronically increased the idle via the EFI. Ahh woulda, coulda, shoulda.

I'm sure you have already thought of this, but most likely place to find this part is in a salvage yard. Places like Pick and Pull have a battery you could test the part before purchase or if not they will refund your money if it does not work. I have an extra set I took off a salvage 1977 Z and I'll use your testing suggestion to see if they are good. The previous owner of my car had bypassed these and it did fine.

I also connect my vacuum gun to them when testing. They should hold vacuum when closed and allow vacuum to pass through when under power. For testing purposes I carry a 9 volt battery with me. For switches, solenoids, etc. that will provide more than enough power plus I don't have to look for the junkyard's test battery.

Edited by sblake01

I'm sure you have already thought of this, but most likely place to find this part is in a salvage yard. Places like Pick and Pull have a battery you could test the part before purchase or if not they will refund your money if it does not work. I have an extra set I took off a salvage 1977 Z and I'll use your testing suggestion to see if they are good. The previous owner of my car had bypassed these and it did fine.

I found a working pair in my parts collection, but I am still interested in your extra set if you are willing to part with them. Let me know. Thanks

Edited by ZCurves

I also connect my vacuum gun to them when testing. They should hold vacuum when closed and allow vacuum to pass through when under power. For testing purposes I carry a 9 volt battery with me. For switches, solenoids, etc. that will provide more than enough power plus I don't have to look for the junkyard's test battery.

That is a cool trick for testing in the field. 9 volts is enough to see if they are good or not. Thanks for the tip!