IGNORED

7.1 Earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand

240znz

Thanks so much to everyone for your thoughts and messages. It's so much appreciated. The city of Christchurch was just coming right after the September quake, but this last one has devasted large areas of the central business area, and it will take a huge effort and many years to come out of this. Many beautiful and historic buildings have been destroyed, including the magnificent stone cathedral, which was an icon in the city. There are people still trapped at this time 9-00 am Wed. and many deaths.

This quake although 6.3 was only five km deep and very close to the city,

so the effects were very severe. Water supplies and the sewerage system is out of action, and this after months of repairs from the last quake.

Thank you all.

Brian.

Edited by olzed

I've just been into the office to try and get my wallet as I left it in the rush to get out and I have to say that what you see on TV is nothing like how it actually is.

A 22 story hotel is leaning over a couple of degrees. One whole corner has dropped maybe 3 metres from the top story....madness.

They have just found a pocket of what they think is 15 people alive in the CTV building which collasped on itself.

It's horredous and still it shakes.

Amanda (my wife) who is a cardio nurse at the local private hospital has gone in to assist and has called me to say that St Georges hospital new and old parts is a mess. They think they will be transferred to the main public hospital later today.

Our death toll now stands at 75 and will more than likely grow.

To be honest, at this early stage, I wouldn't rule out moving cities or even countries in the very near future.

Thats so cool Rick.Thank you. There are dozens of Aussie search and rescue guys in Christchurch at the moment. Although Auckland where we live is a long way from this event it is such a hard thing to come to terms with. Its like it is not real. Our 45 year old son is an engineer in Auckland, and he had been moved to Christchurch three weeks ago to assist in evaluating the affected areas from the Sept. event. Now they start all over again.

Brian.

Edited by olzed

Hi all,

I have been in email communication with James Cairns (240znz) in Christchurch and the devastation is mind numbing. The Cantaburians need our help. If you are able please donate to the New Zealand Red Cross (http://www.redcross.org.nz/donate). Every little bit helps. I visited James in2006 and was treated to a very good time. New Zealand is a wonderful country and the Kiwis are a wonderful people. Please help if you can. Remember that a $50 donation is really around $37 US. Thanks for your time and trouble.

Cheers, Mike

Here is a pic of one the main roads into town. She's a little bit rooted mate.

Also a pic of a building 100m from my work place. Ours isn't so bad.

A 3rd of the buildings in our central business district are gone. No public access into the area for several months due to the extreme danger of falling debris. Thousands will be without work as businesses can not operate, so we will have a large amount of poverty here until the rebuild starts then it will be very very busy for a very long time.

But it's 7:33am and forecast is for a sunny day. My wheel barrow is on the trailer and I'm about to go pick up my brother and go help another stranger. May as well just get on with it.

Cheers

James

post-1608-14150813920523_thumb.jpg

post-1608-1415081392083_thumb.jpg

post-1608-14150813921109_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd update and close this thread in one go.

Shakes have subsided enough for now, last big enough to notice was some months ago.

City demolition still continues with only about 1/5th left to go.

We still haven't had our house fixed or had notice of when it will be. Things just take so long.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and know that we are grateful for your support.

Cheers

James

This thread deserves a Zombie award. Two years in the grave and suddenly it springs back to life.
C'mon Wade, It's an update. They are still recovering over there as James stated. I recently read where poor bulding design was the cause of the majority of deaths in a building collapse that happened during that 'quake. Edited by sblake01