IGNORED

fuel overflows

raltz

i just purchased my 1973 240z last friday, i noticed my fuel guage didn't work (previous post asking for help with that) but i still need to drive it home, i went to get gas first and fill it up, but when i was filling it, the gas pump kept going and the fuel seem to be overflowing from the top of the tank...

it was like watch you dump money down the drain..

does anyone know why the pump just wouldn't stop when full, and what i would need to check and repair so that next time i go to fill up it doesn't overflow like that

Thank you

Perhaps its a faulty gas pump. It pays to watch the thing when filling. The pipe that goes from the cap to the tank is often rotten allowing gas to escape if you fill the tank to the top. If the fuel was poring out underneath then there would be no surge up the filler pipe to activate the mechanism to switch off the gas pump.

Edited by olzed

Are you saying that the fuel came out of the pipe where the pump hose went in, or somewhere else? On my '73 the pipe is larger than those on newer cars and does not seal real well at the hose. I have to manually hold the hose pressed to the pipe until the pump first kicks off (i.e. I don't click the handle down for automatic feed).

thanks guys, it looked like it was leaking from the the top of the tank, it wasn't over flowing from where the gas goes in, i didn't get the initial click that it was full, i just started hearing a loud dripping sound and looked underneath and the gas looked to be overflowing from the top

Probably not the top of the tank, but one of the vent hoses. (there are three)

Two are near the seam, about mid way up, and I think that there is one near the top of the tank. All three are hidden by body panels. You have to pull the tank to replace them.

Search the site for vent hoses or something like that and you will get an idea of what you are in for.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm no expert but, on my 73 the filler tube to tank is just a rubber tube with hose clamp that attaches to gas tank. I would check to see that is still in place and fitted correctly over bib that comes off tank. Its tricky to reach from right rear fender well after removing the inspection panel that is held by 4-5 screws.