IGNORED

Installing electric Fuel Pump - what can I clean up?

timhypo

So, I just ordered a P4070 Carter electric fuel pump, a regulator, and a fuel pressure gauge. I was wondering if, since my regulator has two outlets, I can get rid of some of the plumbing associated with the stock setup. I'm planning to replace the mechanical fuel pump and build my own block-off plate and gasket for the hole out of aluminum and was hoping I could get rid of the stock fuel rail and other stuff. Anyone have an opinion on this? Any pictures? It's purely aesthetic reasons for doing this, so anything I can do to simplify the engine compartment would be a plus.

I'm using the following webpage as a reference:

http://datsunzgarage.com/engine/index.htm

What ever floats your boat. If you just install a RX-7 pump you don't need a regulator. They will supply all the fuel you ever need for your carbs. Since you said that you were going to cover the hole in the head you must talking of a 240z. I have been running a RX-7 pump for 8 years. We even tried one on a set of triple Webbers on a vary built 280 engine and it supplied them just fine. $15.00 at the U-pull- it. Just use one from a carbed RX NOT a injected one. The fuel rail functions to supply cool fuel to the carbs by recirculating the excess fuel back to the gas tank , thus cooling the rail. You might think of a method of stopping the gas flow in the event of a accident and you cannot turn off the key! An a inertia switch to cut the power if you are in a wreck is one option. I installed a simple pressure switch that will cut power if my oil pressure drops below 7 PSI.

I have just completed the conversion from EFI to Carbs on a 280z, I was not sure if the fuel pump would supply 3.5 psi for the carbs, so I installed a regulator. I would like to know more about the pressure switch that you installed beandip to place on my car,

Thanks

Sorry for the lack of details, it's a '72 240Z. The previous owner had installed a fuel pump that I believe he got from a FI car that he parted and hooked it up to a switch just to prime the fuel system prior to turning it over - he'd shut it down once the car was running. That thing was loud, though, and was not working right by the time I got the car, so I pulled it out and just ran the mechanical pump without issue (I think). However, I've had some random occasional loss of power that MAY be related to fuel pressure, so I wanted the gauge/regulator/electric pump to balance it all out and let me know that I really have pressure - I kind of worry that my tank may be rusty, although my inline fuel filters never get dirty. I think I'm gonna install this today after I adjust my valves and cam timing. We'll see if I get there...