IGNORED

Leaky fuel injector

Pomorza

Hey guys

Earlier today I was doing some minor cleaning in the engine bay of my Z when I smelled the distinct smell of fuel. I started the Z and began to investigate from where the smell was coming from. The number 5 injector seems to be the culprit.

The rubber hose seems to be leaking from where it enters the little metal collar. (I have no idea what this is called sorry, but the injectors have a metal collar looking deal where the hose enters). The leak isn't "bad" but any gasoline in or near the exhaust makes me rather squeamish.

Has anyone ever dealt with these? If so how hard is it to get the hose to stop leaking?

Jan

I think you have to replace it. If so, I may have a half dozen extra used injectors on my hands on Monday, give or take. Maybe I could send you one. (Part of the "pay it forward" program started last holiday season! :) )

I might be interested in that. I did take my Z to the Datsun guys I know and was advised that I do indeed need to replace them. I do have a question for you all. Has anyone used the "NEW" injectors that MSA sells? I mean if I have one bad injector its bound (I'm sure Murphy's Laws will abide here) that the other ones aren't far behind in breaking. (they are 34+ years old)

Jan

Edited by Pomorza

Jan, I asked several times on this list about which injectors are good, and there seems to be no consensus. Many people say the refurbished (really just cleaned up, checked, and matched) injectors are just fine, but a few people I trust said to forget the fossilized injectors and just buy new ones. I also understand there's not much difference in quality, so you can just shop price. I bought some off of Ebay that seem to be fine. I haven't yet installed mine, but I'll be getting to that very soon now -- after finishing up with my fuel tank and pump assembly, and then exhaust (which failed inspection). If you can wait a few weeks, I'll let you know how well my injectors work.

Edited by FastWoman

Pam, I asked several times on this list about which injectors are good, and there seems to be no consensus. Many people say the refurbished (really just cleaned up, checked, and matched) injectors are just fine, but a few people I trust said to forget the fossilized injectors and just buy new ones. I also understand there's not much difference in quality, so you can just shop price. I bought some off of Ebay that seem to be fine. I haven't yet installed mine, but I'll be getting to that very soon now -- after finishing up with my fuel tank and pump assembly, and then exhaust (which failed inspection). If you can wait a few weeks, I'll let you know how well my injectors work.

I don't mind waiting it's just that I'm afraid that the leak will get worse. I can't not drive my car as at the moment its my only form of transportation.

Jan

Jan, have you replaced your injectors yet? Might be too late, but...

I was mounting up some new injectors on a fuel rail last night and ran into the problem that the supplied hoses were too short. They were butted into cup fittings on the injector side (and looked like crimped connections). Anyway, I had to cut off the supplied hoses, and that gave me a chance to see how they're put together. There's a short, metal barb that the hose slips over before butting into the cup at the base. I'm thinking you can slip a clamp around the base, butted right up against the cup, and tighten down on your leaky hose until you're able to get in your new injectors.

Jan, have you replaced your injectors yet? Might be too late, but...

I was mounting up some new injectors on a fuel rail last night and ran into the problem that the supplied hoses were too short. They were butted into cup fittings on the injector side (and looked like crimped connections). Anyway, I had to cut off the supplied hoses, and that gave me a chance to see how they're put together. There's a short, metal barb that the hose slips over before butting into the cup at the base. I'm thinking you can slip a clamp around the base, butted right up against the cup, and tighten down on your leaky hose until you're able to get in your new injectors.

I used a hose clamp at the bottom of the leaky injector and that "fixed" the problem for now.While fixing the injector I noticed that all the injectors have "Python" written on them. After talking to a few people I come to believe that all six of my injectors are replaced with OE "replacements" .

Jan

You might have more life left in your injectors. Maybe all you need to do is to replace the hoses. It's not hard. Just unfasten the injectors from the manifold, pull the entire fuel rail, and pull off all the injectors. Cut VERY CAREFULLY deeply into the cup to remove some rubber material, and continue the cut over the barb, careful not to nick it. Or you can play it safe and use a soldering iron to cut the rubber. Work the rubber off the barb while pulling back the cup.

You can test your injectors before removing them. Pull the entire fuel rail with injectors attached, and set it atop some newspaper on top of the engine. Have a friend crank the engine briefly while you watch the spray pattern. They should each have about the same pattern. Then with the engine not cranking, watch to see if any of the injectors dribble. (They shouldn't.)