IGNORED

ZX Distributor Adapter

CoastGuardZ

I've got an old wore out dizzy and want to switch over to electronic ignition anyway. I just swapped out alternators and now I've got the upgrade bug.

I intend to buy a reman from a local parts store.

My understanding is that I need a distributor mount/adapter from a ZX to make this change. I have no idea what it looks like and can't seem to find a yard around here that either has any Z/ZX's anymore or will let you pick your own parts.

1) Does anyone have a pic of what I need?

and

2) Does anybody have one kicking around that I can purchase?

Thanks in advance!

disbracket_001.jpg

That is actually two parts. I'd suggest you get them both. The part on top is the mount that bolts to the block. The part on bottom is the timing adjustment plate that you'll attach to the new distributor as seen in this pic with the o-ring:

03-27-10_001.jpg

I may have an extra mount but not the adjustment plate.

You could probably make an adjustment plate pretty easy. It's just a piece of metal plate with a center hole for the dizzy and two slotted holes to mount and adjust. I know a lot of people aren't too comfortable with making parts.

Ron-

Thanks for the heads up... do you happen to know why the different types? NA vs. Turbo or year model? Something like that?

I'm fuzzy on the details now but did save that pic for my own use because I had two ZX distributors with different bases. I know Jeff had to swap out the bases (as per the pic) to use on his LeMons car recently when I loaned him my dizzies. There is a thread on the subject on HybridZ where I pilfered the pic from.

Like Ron said, I have his dizzies. I had to mix and match the parts, but I have no idea which years any of the parts are from.

Hopefully somebody will have the exact info for the combination of parts needed because I need to give Ron his parts back and buy a ZX dizzy setup of my own. My 260 distributor actually works fine, but I'd much rather stick with a newer ZX unit with the built-in ignition module.

The base in my first post is from a 240z I believe. It was sold to me as a 280zx base. I think there were only 4 different types of distributors made. Obviously both points based dizzy's aren't what you want but the base is likely the same. The 75-78 are probably all the same. Then there are the ones from the 280zx turbo and the 280zx NA which are obviously different. The pic in geezer's post of the two bases compared is from Blue's site I think. It shows a 77 part and an 80 part. I think any 280zx NA base will work.

Here are a couple of pics of the base I used on my car. It's from an 83 NA.

83-280zxDisBase.jpg

83-280zxDisBase2.jpg

I just want to prevent someone else from having to do what I did. I bought two supposed 280ZX distributors which both had the E1280 module, that proved to be different in many ways. It was necessary to use both in order to come up with a working distributor. It would be beneficial to know the differences, models used and origin of the distributor before buying it. I still am not clear on this. For example, while researching the subject, and an old thread, I found this:

"Between 1979 & 1981 Nissan put ten types of distributor in the ZX’s. The D6K8-22, D6K8-26, D6K8-02, D6K8-03, D6K8-05, D6K8-06, D6K8-07, D6K9-09, D6K9-10 & D6K80-03 in the non-turbo L28e engines."

I still don't have my microfiche here to look it up. Hopefully this thread will shed more light on the subject and help Nate get the right one.

I bookmarked and used this page when I did my swap. According to that the ignition modules changed but the body remained the same throughout the 280zx years. I'm sure he meant the NA versions. The turbo distributor is totally different I'm sure you know.

post-20522-14150811861608_thumb.jpg

post-20522-14150811861813_thumb.jpg

post-20522-1415081186198_thumb.jpg

post-20522-14150811862269_thumb.jpg