IGNORED

Door Weatherstripping Welt

erectorset

Could a few more members weigh in on this? I would like to get a concensus. Currently the door weathersripping welt at my interior side rear windows is under the interior plastic panels that surround the windows and they rub together and create a lot of annoying vibration noise when driving. It would appear to me that if the welt overlaps the panel their would be no rubbing noise. Given the number of times I have replaced the door weatherstripping and taken out and reinstalled the interior rear window panels over the last 39 years I no longer know what is right and what is wrong.

On my '73 the welt does not overlap the plastic interior part. There are a number of "fixes" to silence the squeaking. Try a dab of silicone spray. You can add a thin piece of self-stick foam to the plastic panel. I have successfully used a dab of graphite, too (being very careful not to get it on anything like cloth). On my car there is velour-type material (soon to be removed) wrapped around the plastic piece so there is no noise. We'll see what happens when it's no longer there...

Cheers, Mike

I will weigh in on the consensus opinion that the welting fits beneath the quarter window plastic trim B-pillar area. I have a late (1/71) series 1 car that also has a oval head phillips screw with a clear plastic washer that helps secure this B-pillar trim area to the quarter window frame. Don't know if your 71 has this screw or if it was just on the series 1 cars, but it helps to hold the plastic panel securely against the welting.

Dan