IGNORED

Power Antenna Question

texasz

On my 1970 Z I had an aftermarket fixed-position antenna, the short (12" or so) flexible kind. Well it broke so I was going to put in a power antenna I bought a couple years back...it is supposed to be a used stock S30 power antenna.

Wouldn't you know that when I removed the interior quarter panel there was a power antenna just laying in there, still wired up even!! The only reason I didn't just reinstall it was that the nut and trim/grommet piece for the outside of the body seem to be missing.

Well having this in there gave me the opportunty to compare it to the one I had boght years previous. They are not identicle though similar and would like to know which if either (or both) is correct.

Here is a link to the pix of the two: http://www.pape.ws/allan_and_rosanne/Z-Car_Stuff/My%20Power%20Antenna/

You'll want to define "correct" for your purposes.

Do you mean

1 - An antenna that works?

or;

2 - The OEM, Stock, Kanji Stamp, proper Date Code, verified Series I antenna tip with the proper exterior mount?

or;

3 - The replacement antenna that Nissan offered in latter years, which other than the antenna tip, works the same, and is hidden under the plastic panel?

or;

4 - An aftermarket antenna which can be made to operate the same as the original and it works?

That will help in answering your question.

FWIW

E

Good points guys, let me expound on this.

I am not in need of a proper series I antenna.

The old one that was in the car, is this the way these were normally connected or is it a hack job?

I would like one that "looks" correct or close.

I would like one that I do not have to hack up the wiring to install...though the answer to the above question may reveal that the wiring has already been hacked. :(

Certainly one that works! :)

Does anyone have pix of examples of these showing the differences? That would be a worthwhile thread or tech paper/posting I think.

The Harada unit is a "plug and play" for the S30. The wiring is factory connections (bullet) and the antenna connection is a push-on. Unfortunately the Harada unit is missing the antenna and the motor may not be working.

You would have to adapt the wiring and antenna connection to use the ZX antenna.

Mine just "decided" to strip the original nylon toothed belt yesterday.

Damn.

Had bought a generic mast replacement thinking about eventually trying to replace the original since it was slightly bent, enough to cause crappy operation.

I'd definitely be interested in anything you can find since the replacement mast is NLA.

I think Dave (Zsondabrain) or Enrique (EScanlon) had a writeup on the wiring needed to adapt a modern replacement antenna to the OEM antenna switch.'

Edited by mlc240z