IGNORED

Dirty fluid in clutch resivoir ?

On thing that makes the brake fluid "brown" - is the rubber stoppers in the caps on the reservoir deteriorate with age. In effect they finally dissolve.

If you are going to replace all components of the hydralic clutch system. Use DOT 5 Silicone Fluid. It will not absorb moisture - thus no rust and corrosion in the system. It will also protect and lubricate the rubber seals in the system.

I forget now exactly when - but about two or three years ago I finally had to replace the clutch master on my 72 240Z. I had replaced the brake fluid, in the Clutch System, with Silicone Brake Fluid when the car was new at the end of 1971. So that clutch master, slave and rubber line lasted the first 35 or 36 years.

I've also ran Silicone Brake Fluid in the same car's brake system - since I stopped racing/rallying it around 1978. I had to replace the original set of rear wheel cylinders and brake master for the first time about 10 years ago.

You don't want to run DOT 5 Silicone Brake Fluid in a competition car. Unlike DOT3/4 Brake Fluids, DOT 5 will compress when heated to extremes. I have ran several parking lot auto-crosses over the years with no problem on DOT 5... but I wouldn't want to run high speed track days with it.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

Supposedly, DOT 5 will not eat your paint if you spill it on the frame rails and engine bay. I say supposedly because I will be filling/bleeding my brakes and clutch this weekend and am petrified about ruining my fresh paint.