IGNORED

Timing off a tooth-dislexia kicking in

madkaw

Okay guys, finally after years my new motor starts, but with some issues. I believe I got my dizzy off by one tooth, but need some verification of some stuff first. I had to rotate plug wires one plug to get it to run right enough to adjust timing, but still i'm not lined up with the adjustment slot to tighten down. The picture shows TDC position of rotor. It seems that i need to rotate the rotor CCW one tooth to get a perfect line up on the cap and be in the adjsutment slot range on base. So I need to drop the oil pump and rotate the shaft to acheive this-correct? It probably only needs to move 1/4" at best, will I achieve this in one tooth. I want to make sure before i drop the pump(changing the oil anyway). If my dislexia doesn't fool me, I believe i had to advance the timing to get it to run right.

post-7622-14150811052907_thumb.jpg

Yeah, that looks like a tooth off to me, Steve. Could tell for certain if you had a picture of the end of the dizzy drive shaft (dizzy removed), but lacking that, I'd say you know what is needed.

I think the reason that this is such a common problem is that the manuals all tell you to line up the index mark as you install the dizzy drive shaft, but they fail to warn you that because the drive gears are helical cut, as the shaft is inserted it spins a bit. I found you need to look at the direction the shaft moves when you insert it, and then back off the index mark one tooth before inserting it.

Mark 11:25 on the inside of the distributor mount on the timing cover with a magic marker......get your wife to sit up top and tell you when the tang lines up. My wife's an expert!LOL

Edited by Diseazd

Another trick I tried was to resize and print out one of the pics showing the proper orientation. I punched the bolt holes and cut out the center....and then just lined everything up.