IGNORED

Rebuilding struts

Sort of. I stiffened the ride by replacing the thinner factory oil with RPM Delo. It worked. As the struts were almost new, I did not replace any O-rings or other seals, so cannot comment further.

Frank

RPM Delo is a brand name for diesel truck engine oil. I don't remember the weight ( I think it only comes in one weight, anyway ) as this was done in 1971. Any oil of whatever viscosity rating should suffice.

I think the RPM Delo was a little too viscous as it made the car REALLY stiff. I cannot remember the weight of the factory oil, but it was quite thin as compared to the Delo. I do recall it being quite the chore getting everything back together with the heavier oil in the strut. ;-(

Hope that helped!

Frank

It helped me, the weight of the oil you use, must be higher than W15 witch is strut / fork oil for competition, normal fork oil will be W10, but if you run a diesel engine oil W15 can't be to much, i think.

Datsun original used whale oil, "Nisseki Shock Absorber Oil A-2" ive tried to google it but not much comes up, now i am looking at this for a replacement.

Still i like to know of the procedure of rebuilding, other that what is in th FSM, so if others have been there, tell me about it.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

ChrisZ did you try to rebuild one yet? I'm looking into doing it my self. I noticed their is a lot of other brands of shock oil. I figured when it got close I make some calls and tell them what oil I'm replacing. If this is actual whale oil I might see if I can get is cleaned up and replace what was lost, you can't find better oil, mother nature at her finest.

The other thing that concerned me was the specialty tool does someone make it still or what does it look. . .?

Lastly the O-rings are easy to match up, but what are the seals like and what other worn parts should I replace and can I get them?

ChrisZ did you try to rebuild one yet? I'm looking into doing it my self. I noticed their is a lot of other brands of shock oil. I figured when it got close I make some calls and tell them what oil I'm replacing. If this is actual whale oil I might see if I can get is cleaned up and replace what was lost, you can't find better oil, mother nature at her finest.

The other thing that concerned me was the specialty tool does someone make it still or what does it look. . .?

Lastly the O-rings are easy to match up, but what are the seals like and what other worn parts should I replace and can I get them?

Sorry, i have to say no, it turned out the spare set of struts i have, was with inserts, i just got my hands on the last avalible set of inserts, that i could find here in Denmark, so for now i hope the original struts that is on my car, don't have inserts, so i can have those rebuild.

Chris