IGNORED

heater control panel

Davis

I have a new 73 heater control panel that is supposed to fit my 72 but there are no mounting holes on the back of it to screw in the slide backet.

any ideas - I am missing a part or sometihing?

post-19888-14150810984793_thumb.jpg

post-19888-14150810985117_thumb.jpg

post-19888-14150810985696_thumb.jpg

post-19888-14150810986277_thumb.jpg

The "supposed to fit" part of your statement may be the issue. Hopefully someone who's done this conversion (Enrique?) can chime in. I've never seen the back of a '73 panel but I do know that it's a lighted panel meaning there will be some extra work getting the wiring for the lights done. There may be some extra fabrication needed at the same time.

Surprise! Fits the console opening, does not fit the 72 control levers plate.

I have my old control levers from my 73 after going Vintage air and replacing all that nonsense. Let me know if you want them. I think the four cables it actuates are all the same.

Jim

thanks Jim

I wounder how the bracket is attached to back of the 73 heater panel - can you send me a picture of what the bracket looks like - do I have to modify the opening in the dash?

If all works out I would be glad to buy it from you

regards Dave

Here is the one picture I have from the AC install that kinda shows the 73 controls on the back of the faceplace and how it mounts. Hope it helps.

The dash opening is identical. Nothing to modify there.

I can take more pics of the parts when I get home. Drop me a note to z240@shaw.ca

Jim

post-12190-14150810986957_thumb.jpg

The HCP from the 73 including the cable mounting assembly COMPLETE will fit into a 72 dash. The only problem you might run into is that the 73 HCP is just slightly wider and thicker than the 72, which might cause a bit of difficulty on re-assembly of the dash and center console. It IS do-able though.

The 73 HCP and lever assembly replaces BOTH the Plastic Panel AND the cable levers from 72. You can't intermarry the pieces as you have discovered.

What it seems you are trying to do is to use the 72 lever assy with the 73 faceplate. From your pictures you are also missing the shrouds for the light bulbs and the clear plastic - light conducting bit that sends the light to the spaces above the levers.

FWIW

E

Gentlemen

Thanks for your assistance.

It seems I need the entire assembly from a 73 HCP to make this work - I am not too worried about the lights but I will have to get a lever mechanism as well the metal piece that mates to the duct (the 72 piece wont fit correctly) - all from a 73

The chrome diffusers fits, and I am hoping the cables wll fit.

Jim - do I understand that you have a 73 lever mech you will sell. Z Car Source has used ones for $68. Let me know.

regards Dave

Dave:

I can let you have mine for $55 + shipping. I'll throw in the metal vent duct mating piece too.

I took the duct piece from a 73 and 72 HCP and held them together. I don't see the difference. Pics attached. They mount the same way, have the same chrome duct, same exact shape that I can tell.

Jim

post-12190-14150811052391_thumb.jpg

post-12190-1415081105268_thumb.jpg

Good Morning Jim

The metal duct adapter from the 72 HCP must have a slightly larger (deeper) flange than the 72 because it wont fit with having to cut the center plastic insert panel (lever slot panel) - I will take a pic when I get home tonite and show you what is happening.

In any case I will be glad to buy your 73 lever mech

do you have a paypal account?

regards Dave

Dave:

Good day indeed!

I'de really like to see pictures of your parts. ;)

I see no difference at all in the 73 and pre-73 outside panel dimensions as it fits in the dash pad and how the vent outlet ducting is sized. But I also know there is always something new to learn.

Please send me a note to z240@shaw.ca and we'll take the transaction part offline.

Jim