IGNORED

New plastic panel fitment

mally002

I didn't realize they had any blue on blue in '71. I would have guessed a white interior.

Me too, I didn't know...but there is too many original parts in the interior for it to be reproduction parts, especially the vinyl around the windshield. I really want to make it blue again but this is "flip" project and it does not make sense to buy all new interior parts for that reason. I am going to have to think about my next move. I missed out on a complete blue interior for sale on Craigslist San Fran a few weeks ago. When redoing the interior it is easy to forget that you need all the plastic plus diamond vinyl, plus the vinyl around the windshield, the headliner and of course the seats. In the end it would cost way too much to justify only to resale the car. The blue on blue would look just awesome almost as good as white with blue interior.

That blue is AWESOME, mally. Like Montezuma, my #110 was a blue/blue till 'that moron' painted everything black. Same guy? :)

The new rear trim panel I got from MSA was black with SEM vinyl dye in off white. It was larger than original, thicker too, and needed the multiple trimmings to fit the 73.

Bonzi Lon

Moron PO's are not hard to come by are they? I see these cars all the time with so many problems and bonehead changes. Why would you ruin a beautiful blue interior? Look at Mally's car, that blue pops.

Bonzi was your car blue on blue or blue on white...errrr.. i mean off white.

My 73 is exactly the same. I got new diamond and plastic from Les at Classic Datsun. I don't like the color as I think it is too "white" instead of parchment as it was called on the color chart also known as off white. I just need the door panels(Les has a kit for) and the seat covers in order to install my new interior. Did you replace the vinyl around the windsheild and headliner too? In my 73 my off white is really "OFF" white.

Thanks guys,

Yes, it is shall we say......colorful.....:cool:

So far I'm very happy with the results, and the kit Les sells at Classic Datsun is quality stuff. The trimming is a bit tricky, so just go slow.

I'll throw up some more pictures later next week, I'm out of town this week so no new progress till I get back on Sunday.

Take care guys,

Mally

My 7/73 was originaly 115 blue metalic with off white interior, as it was told to me to be. Over the years of driving, smoked in, overspray, and a quarter century of storage, the vinyl survived better than the plastic.

First pic is the plastic after cleaning. It looks like faded butterscotch LOL. The dome light panel is the back side showing original (+ time) color. The vinyl and door panel are after cleaning. There is a slight mis-color at the arm rest mounts. I sprayed all the plastic in SEM vinyl dye 15103 Super White, same color MSA used on the rear tail finisher.

The vinyl parts cleaned up real well with laquer thinner. :finger: The headliner and pillers were not such a mess. There is a mis-match in colors from the plastic and vinyl, but I can live with it for now. Its 37 year old patina. If it ever gets redone, everything will be replaced to match the color, whether it is the original from Les or full blown complete off white air-craft grade leather. :love:

The seats are a sore subject and now have covers on them.

My other Z, HLS30-00110, (aka #110) was originaly blue exterior and a black painted interior. Only after it was home did I pull back the headliner and piller to see blue, then traces of blue on the diamond vinyl near the foot feed. Blue blue is a rare combo, I counted 5, including mine in the first 4000 vin's on Carl's list.

Maybe the reason your new ones look 'too white' is that you have been used to the slow fading of the originals. I bet if you could go back in time the interiors then would seem 'too white' also. I'm inclined to say that they 'slow fade' from out of the box onward, just takes lots of time.

Bonzi Lon

post-11300-14150810848456_thumb.jpg

post-11300-14150810848676_thumb.jpg

post-11300-14150810848886_thumb.jpg

post-11300-14150810849094_thumb.jpg