IGNORED

Gas Depth in Float bowl, when excluding float volume

hogie

You are right about the diaper changes though. I have no clue how he can completely fill a diaper the second you change him. That and pee on the wall and myself again two minutes later.

The joys of fatherhood!! A lot more of great memories just a fingersnap away! Enjoy them all!

Great advise on the nozzles with the above post - keep us posted on your results:beer:

Well, I replaced the fuel lines, disconnected the choked, lubed up the nozzles, and I re-set the needles to seat of the piston. And the results are it will idle quite smoothly at 750 and the 1000 rpm mentioned earlier.

If I cut gas to either carb it will idle roughly, but will carry on no problems. Using the bean dip method I get a rough idle when lifting either piston. When using the the lift pins the idle raises a tiny bit and comes back down on the front carb. The back just drops a bit in rpm, but it doesnt die.

The rental fuel pressure gauge isnt detailed enough to really say, but it hovers right around 3 psi. I will probaly go ahead and toss that electric pump I have on. However, I will be grabbing a ford cutoff switch before I do that.

Here is a video, thought the quality isnt all that great. Thanks for your help everyone.

th_PICT0001.jpg

Have you driven the car?

Do you have any lean pops?

Did you check for gas leaks from the bowl to the nozzle?

Make sure you do not block your bowl vents - did you blow through them when you had you bowl lids off to make sure they are not obstructed - you should have your vents hosed to your air breather once you put it back on.

If you have driven the car do you have any hesitation at any rpm?

I will get a chance to drive it tommorow I got cut a little short tonight. I didn't get any lean pops tonight, though I had them earlier in the year when the floats where set way too low. Also, no leaks between the nozzle and bowl signifying too high of float either.

The bowl vents are for sure unobstructed. I have the foam filters and have added fitting to the back to accept the overflow tubes as well as the gas tank recirc valve.

I will be able to let you know tommorow about the rest.

I visited The Z Barn a couple of months ago and picked up a few odds and ends and Roger is a great help. One item I purchased is a year correct air breather with hardware (the gaskets were even in good shape). I use to have the same air filters as you currently do. Honestly - I have more power and the engine bay looks a lot better - the way the air intake is designed it's kinda like an early version of "cold air induction" pulling air from the front of the engine bay, instead of around my hot headers, plus, you get the built in air horns. I followed a few threads and restored the breather and it is working great.

Not a shabby idea, though it will fall somewhere after the radiator, water pump, and new seatbelts!

I really don't the look of the el cheapos I have now and if they don't perform as well as stock why have them.

Not a shabby idea, though it will fall somewhere after the radiator, water pump, and new seatbelts! .

I removed my radiator and took it to a radiator repair shop - they rodded, boiled, and repaired it for $35. I gave it a nice fresh high temp paint job (not on the fins), and she is as good as new!! It's taken me about 3 years but I am closing in on my project list. I did replace my seat belts with the MSA belts last year. A lot safer than what I had, which was nothing. The drivers side rides up a little high for me but I don't think I can adjust it without putting spacers under the bolts for the seats, which I will not do.

How did she drive with the carbs?

Well I have good news and bad news. I only got to put 3-4 miles on her before an unrelated problem developed. It pulls strong from idle and runs good up to 4500 rpm or so. I never got past 2nd gear when getting on it so I wasnt going too fast as I am not very far out of town. When cruising about it at 30-40 (guestimated) everything goes fine. It doesnt seem to pull too quick in third gear, but I have never ridden in any other 240 for a reference either.

I did have a couple of hiccups. Once while accelerating and 3/4 throttle it fell on its face at around 2 grand and then picked back up. The other instance was pulling away slowy from a stop sign while turning right. It cut power, I clutched in and it didn't stall. Two seconds later it was driving fine again. No lean pops or anything. I am guessing the fuel pressure really was as low as the gauge showed.

Unfortuneatly, something is wrong with my tranny or driveshaft. I was cruising at a steady speed in 2nd and went to 3rd slowy. At which point I heard a whirring, sliding sound coming from the transmission. A second later it felt like the rear of the car was binding and vibrating real bad. So I clutched in and slowed to a stop.

I couldnt see anything wrong and was in a bad spot on the road so I backed into a turn around. Once I went back to reverse the noise/vibration went away and I limped back home in first and 2nd. When I tried to go into 3rd a second time the same thing happened. I know 3rd isnt blown out as I used it when I first left the house. Perhaps something backed loose, but I have no clue what is causing it. The only other symptom is that I get a funny chirp sound almost like a belt squeel when I get off of the gas and stay in gear. It is extremely short in duration and may not be related.

The only thing that I can think of is my drive shaft is shoved pretty far into the tranny. I had an extremely hard time fitting it into the car. The Ujoints are newish and as of two months ago the tranny was full of fluid. I am at a loss on this one, but at least the engine runs nicely now! :)

here is the thread where I was having the driveshaft problems. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34661

Edited by hogie

Wow - when it rains it pours.

Have you changed your fuel filter?

How did you sync your carbs?

When she fell on her face are you sure you did not hear a carb backfire (or lean pop).

It sounds like it is either your floats are still to low or your pressue is not correct - I know you previous post showed your pressure low so that may need to be your first fix - how are your rubber fuel lines? Are they the correct size? You may need to enrichen one or both carbs a little more.

I think I would go back to your past thread and put your challange in there and see what feedback you get.

Edited by Travel'n Man

I changed the fuel filter before I started to try getting her running. So it is pretty new, but at 4 dollars also a cheap replacement. The metal lines were full of crud when I got her, so I blew those out with a ton of compressed air. Though I think I tried to run the original fuel filter a little after that to catch anything broken loose.

My fuel tank is in beautiful shape and was quite shiny on the inside. There are new 5/16 outlet and 1/4 return lines hooked up. The main change is that I got rid of the vapor tank.

I don't remember hearing any thing out of the ordinary other than it just cutting power. When I had lean pops while trying to get it tuned up they either extremely loud or no worse than a sneeze. My exhaust could have covered up a quiet one.

I am going to check for any loose bolts tonight ande see if I can't up enrichen the mix a bit more. Thanks again