Tires, What Size? - Wheels & Brakes - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Tires, What Size?

Featured Replies

I recently purchased a set of factory six spoke aluminum wheels (14X6) off a 280ZX, which I’m going to mount on my ’72 Z. The plan is to replace all current rubber bushing with urethane ones and install a set of Tokico struts and spring as well. What is largest tire size that I will be able to mount on these wheels without worrying about anything rubbing? I’m hoping to go with 60 series rubber like 195/60s or even 205/60s. Am I about in the right ballpark given the wheels and suspension setup?

Thanks!

:nervous:

195/60 to a 205/60 ought to be just about right. I have run up to a 225/60 on 14x7's so a 14x6 would be just a wee bit smaller.

Try to find out the tires section width before you buy, you need to try to keep it close to the rim width, in other words, a 9 inch wide tire on a 6 inch rim is not good for the tire or the handling.

Most tire manufactures will have a recommended rim width so be sure to check that also.

I have those same rims for my car.... a 215/60R14 is the largest tire you can safely put on a 14x6 rim.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.