IGNORED

Parts marking question (warning, large ugly photos)

lbpdz

Hi all -

Got to work today on the 71. I am planning on pulling the rear end out of the car as well as a rebuild of the rear suspension and noticed several paint marks on the bolts. I was wondering if anyone knows if they are factory marks, or are they from some other odd source?

under1.jpg

under2.jpg

under3.jpg

Hi all -

Got to work today on the 71. I am planning on pulling the rear end out of the car as well as a rebuild of the rear suspension and noticed several paint marks on the bolts. I was wondering if anyone knows if they are factory marks, or are they from some other odd source?

under1.jpg

under2.jpg

under3.jpg

Yellow paint was used when these cars were built, to verify the torque value of several bolts. I don't think that is what we see here but could be. It appears to have been applied more recently but perhaps for the same reason.

Edited by geezer

thats why I was wondering - the marks were not visible until I steam cleaned a bit under the car (more to kill the bugs than clean) The markings became visible after shooting the steam at it..

made them a little more reasonable in size - board was being touchy with attaching the files.. probably not going to put the markings back (took a couple of hours just to get one half shaft out. Economy has slowed down this build quite a bit but I am amazed at the number of untouched things I am finding in this car. In digging around I have found a few marks with the same color paint on the chassis. Most of them have been pretty small dots on bolt/washers.

Edited by lbpdz

In the work I have been doing in refreshing 30855 I have found the yellow paint in many locations front and rear. I have also tried to preserve what is there by being careful with the cleaning. My guess was that it was original marking of the various parts having been torqued (I had read someplace before that they nuts/bolts were marked).

Bell housing and front suspension parts should have it too. It's cool finding stuff from before it rolled off the line. In my opinion it just adds to the pleasure of rebuilding a Z.

Thanks for adjusting the pictures. That was rough...

Both of my front fender wells have factory markings with what appears to be a wax-based marker. I can't recall which number is where, but the number 17 appears on one side and the number 18 appears on the other.

Anyone else notice this on your S30?

mine has some, but will have to take another look when I get it back off the jack stands/finish up the rear section.

I really get mixed feelings finding the factory markings. It's nice they are still there, but at the same time shows me that little to no maintenance has ever been done on the car. Still a lot of decisions to make with it though. Need to take my time and make sure I set my priorities correctly. The good part is even when you are pretty broke, it doesn't cost much to pull stuff apart, inspect and clean then reassemble.

Plan is to work forward from the back, improving and preserving where I can, so the easy to see marks will likely be re-applied. The rebirth of another 902. (now to start scavenging for the interior and Shelby Cal500 rims)--