IGNORED

Complete floor carpeting a 240Z

rv6aflyer

So I'm not a big fan of the vinyl that was on the floor in my '72 240Z. Plus I want to change the interior color from burgandy to black. I've already ordered the plastic pieces, now I need to get carpet. I want to carpet the entire floor right up to the door sills, wheel wells, shock towers, transmission tunnel, etc. I still want access to my tool doors as well. I've looked at the various kits (and searched the previous carpet posts), but can't get a definitive answer on what to order. I'll call some of the carpet suppliers (MSA, C&H, Black Dragon), but I would like to know if anyone has done what I'm proposing?

I've been told the 240 and 260 bodies are "essentially" the same. Does that mean a molded carpet kit for a 260 will work in a 240? I see that MSA offers both a sectional carpet kit and a Transmission Tunnel carpet for the 240Z, but there aren't any pictures of the latter, so I'm not sure what it all covers. Best case, I'd still be missing the wheel wells, below the doors and strut towers.

So, if anyone has used a 260 molded carpet in a 240, or completely carpeted a 240, I'd appreciate your input, especially if you have some pictures.

Thanks.

Some places sell a 'deluxe' carpet kit that covers the areas you are looking for (basically replacing the vinyl with additional carpet). Datsun Restore (http://www.datsunrestore.com/catalog.html) sells this kit

Datsun Carpet Deluxe Full Floor Kits

(70 - 78 Datsun 240Z 260Z 280Z All ) Full Floor, Rear Deck, Riser

Shock Tower, Wheel Well Carpet Kit = 261.95

If you don't mind potentially spending a little more money you should also check out C&H. They can customize the carpet to get you exactly what you want and cut a set to a template if you want to send them one.

-Mike

Contact Brian Rolfe at www.seatzmfg.com

I installed his complete carpet kit on my '70 240Z and it is fantastic. It replaces all of the original quilted vinyl on the interior including the transmission tunnel and shock towers. Molded to fit in two sections. Was easy to install! Available in either cut pile or original loop.

Interior is quieter too!

post-4258-14150810696954_thumb.jpg

post-4258-14150810697661_thumb.jpg

Edited by zcar70

• 1 month later...

Floor mats or carpets are important to any vehicle, as floor area receives more dirt, water, and muddy when someone gets into a car, without carpet it will cause rust and deteriorate your car, Carpets not only protects your vehicle but also is an effective way to update, accent, and beautiful your vehicle.It is simple to install and inexpensive to purchase.

The quilted vinyl definitely is unique to the 240Z, a signature feature. Back in the day it was criticized for looking "cheap" and it did. But Nissan, then as now, put the money where it counted: performance. The best bang for the buck out there.

That being said, when I restored my 240, it was not 100% stock, so I decided on SEATZ's full carpet kit. I preferred the plusher look and the sound insulating factor. If I was doing a 100 point factory restoration I would use the vinyl , no question.

That's the great thing about the Z, you can have it any way YOU like it! :classic:

Actually, I used my 260Z carpet kit from MSA (71.5* to 8/74 with loop stitching (40-2583) Which is essecially a mid-240Z carpet kit as well. I use Loop carpet as it seems to be stronger and doesn't hold litter as well as the cut pile.

Tyler (Z_Tyler_Z) bought a carpet kit from eBay that seemed pretty good. We used a spray adhesive to tack everything to gether and he seems pretty happy with the results. Then again, he didn't have ANY carpet or vynil to start with, so anything was an improvement at that point.

Not a big fan of the carpet over the rear strut towers. Is it glued in place? How do you access the nuts on the strut tower area for service? seems kinda loose fitting and not very form fitting to me. but JMPO (Just My Personal Opinion)

Dave

post-4921-14150811278695_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150811279169_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150811279597_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150811280024_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150811280453_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150811280881_thumb.jpg

The carpet on the strut towers is glued in place with 3M spray adhesive. It's not any looser than the vinyl on your towers. It is easily peeled back should you want to remove it.

I decided to leave the carpet intact over the strut tower bolts instead of cutting holes in the carpet and using the plastic caps. Since the carpet can be peeled off to reach the bolts, it was a non-issue.

• 6 months later...

Home carpet is usually pretty expensive so it's important for your own investment to take care of it. Usually it depends not only on how and when you clean your home carpet, but also what type of carpet you have which will be the deciding factor on how it will continue to look in the future.