IGNORED

I'm new... Driving problems etc HELP!

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, although I only skimmed through this post and might have missed it.:stupid:

Check to see if your Z has an electric fuel pump back by the tank on the passenger side (most '73's do, I think). If so, there is a fuel filter inside the pump. If the filter is clogged it can cause the problems you are experiencing when you drive your car. Ask me how I know... ;)

Remove the bottom of the pump to access the filter. Here are a few photos:

post-6323-14150810644256_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150810644564_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150810644762_thumb.jpg

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, although I only skimmed through this post and might have missed it.:stupid:

Check to see if your Z has an electric fuel pump back by the tank on the passenger side (most '73's do, I think). If so, there is a fuel filter inside the pump. If the filter is clogged it can cause the problems you are experiencing when you drive your car. Ask me how I know... ;)

Remove the bottom of the pump to access the filter. Here are a few photos:

so then is this seperate from the fuel pump at the motor? if so then ill definently check it. what exactly did your z do LOL

It'll really wizz you off if you find you went thru all this only to find your fuel system is clogged. Have you blown out the fuel system (hoses tank NW FUEL FILTER? hoses, float bowls etc?)

I say this cause a clogged fuel filter will allow the car to run but not under a load, depending on how clogged it. But the rest of your problems sound like timing, wiring and possibly fuel (damper oil, clogged float bowl filter, sticky piston, etc)

Feel free to stop by when yu get it running though. Email me or PM me here.

Dave

wolfin32z@yahoo.com

yeah but at this point im expecting it to be some REALLY stupid. like the ignition isnt hooked up or something impossible like that LOL. of course at this point no matter how much of a pisser, i just want it to work like a real z haha

Yes, it is separate from the fuel filter in the engine bay.:rolleyes: Here's a photo...

When I got my '73 running it would idle just fine. I could drive it a short distance, but then it would start to lose power and ultimately the engine would die.:cry: I went through everything, points, rotor, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter (by the engine), replaced all the fuel hoses, etc.. and nothing helped.:ermm: I finally discovered the fuel filter in the electric pump and it was clogged with sediment.

I replaced it and the car ran better, but still not 100%. Turns out enough of the crud had gotten through that the new fuel filter in the engine bay was already clogged up, too.:mad: So, I replaced that one again and the car ran fine after that.:D

post-6323-14150810646287_thumb.jpg

i meant the mechanical fuel pump at the motor that i thought i had LOL but that sounds like my problem. i blew air into the gastank from a fuel line going into the filter and it didnt change anything. i should still check it though huh.

how would i check the exhaust? i know it has normal running car smoke in the mornings LOL

Yes, it is separate from the fuel filter in the engine bay.:rolleyes: Here's a photo...

When I got my '73 running it would idle just fine. I could drive it a short distance, but then it would start to lose power and ultimately the engine would die.:cry: I went through everything, points, rotor, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter (by the engine), replaced all the fuel hoses, etc.. and nothing helped.:ermm: I finally discovered the fuel filter in the electric pump and it was clogged with sediment.

I replaced it and the car ran better, but still not 100%. Turns out enough of the crud had gotten through that the new fuel filter in the engine bay was already clogged up, too.:mad: So, I replaced that one again and the car ran fine after that.:D

when you do the filter at the tank, do you clean it or replace it?