IGNORED

Have any ran these

Oregon260z

I don't care for the look of that system on a 240Z since the dual horizontal tips don't fit the exhaust opening in the valance. But on a late 260Z or 280Z that is not an issue. There have been numerous reports on this system over the years on this forum. Search for "twice pipes" to see some of them. Most owners seem to like the sound, although they are frequently described as being "loud". There have also been fit issues reported. But MSA may have corrected some of that by now, don't know for sure.

Only two official reviews so far in our reviews section.

http://www.classiczcars.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=18&cat=21

Edited by Arne

i installed the twice pipes with stock manifold on my 78 280 last winter. the system is noticeably louder, in parking garages i suspect mine is setting off car alarms. i've also read the system is really meant to bolt onto 240's, i've never had the opportunity to look under a 240 for differences but on my 280 routing around the diff was a challenge, big bumps in the road still make the system hit the rear arms at times. (i also welded many of the seams, the clamps supplied would have only made the system that much lower.) after the first highway trip the system also made me realize all my rear hatch rubber had to go(fumes and noise), and since replacing that the interior noise isn't much higher than the old stock system. the chrome tips stuck out too far for me with a 240 bumper, but i installed a rear skirt and then painted the whole system high-temp satin black. looks pretty sharp now.

as far as an improvement in power goes, i can't be sure, since i installed the system on a rebuilt engine, which supplies a lot more power than before...

enough of that though, i personally like the sound, it has a great rumble, especially coasting as the exhaust is backing off. it is not an obnoxious loud on the street, the neighbors haven't complained, and i get a lot of compliments on it from folks looking at the car.

just like every other modification to these cars, its up to you in the end, and whether or not it fits your goals with the car.

How close is the comparison of the rear valance on an early model 260z and a 240z. I never got a chance to drive my 260 before I started doing the modifications to it so I never heard the smacking of the exaust . I didnt care for the stock exaust sound it seemed very restricted and I feel this motor should have a more freeflowing exaust to get its full preformance. Correct me if Iam wrong which wouldnt suprize me LOL.

Sence Iam doing some modes to the car I could change the valance opening if needed. I just want to make sure that its not screaming loud because the cops here are very anal about loudness issues.

Jonathan, I'm not 100% certain I know what the exhaust opening is like on a 260Z, either early or late. The 240Z opening is very pronounced, and only a bit more than 3" wide. If you are willing to enlarge the opening on your car, I think the twin tips of this system could look quite nice.

First pic below is as mine was when I bought it. Second is same exhaust, but after the re-paint. The third pic is after my change to the Monza dual tip rear exhaust.

attachment.php?attachmentid=35184&d=1269203367

attachment.php?attachmentid=35185&d=1269203367

attachment.php?attachmentid=31160&d=1250371682

post-8596-14150810392152_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150810392415_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arne

Did I miss the 'Group Buy' on those tips??:love:
You talkin' about the Monza dual tips in the bottom picture? I found that unit covered with decades of dust on a shelf in a local muffler shop. They haven't been made in years, true NOS stuff. No group buys available on that unit, for sure.

Someday I'll get around to replacing my exhaust system. When I do, I'll sell that Monza, the rest of the system is only suitable for scrap metal.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31154&d=1250358393

Edited by Arne

Arne,

The Monza tip looks very nice I bet it sounds good, the opening on my 260 valance looks just like the 240 I believe. Its nice to see you got to keep the old Oregon plate here they make you turn them in and pay a buttload of money for the new plates. BTW that is a beautiful 240 nice and straight and clean . Mine Iam in the process of being painted High gloss white.

To use my blue plate (which is not original to the car), I had to register it as either a "Special Interest" plate (~$80 one time cost, but 1500 mile per year limit), or as a vanity plate and pay the vanity fee every renewal. I drive my car too much for the SI option.

The Monza has a good sound when coupled with the 24" glasspack mounted up in the transmission tunnel. A bit quieter than I'd probably prefer, but still nice.

i litteraly just got done installing mine on my 260z, they fit fine in the opening and they sound awsome. next time the neighbors dog is barking at 12am im going to go out and rev the crap out of my z,LOL... oh yeah, motorsport will email you saying they dont have them in stock and it will take 4-7 days for them to get, dont worry, mine shipped the day after the email and i go tthem 2 days later