IGNORED

Sound deadening removal, floor panal rust, POR-15 question

fiveleaf

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this late but to remove the old sound deadoning get some dry ice.

Smash it in the bag is comes in and spread it around anywhere you need to get rid of the sound stuff. USE HEAVY GLOVES or you will burn you hands severely. The stuff comes off instantly and all you have to do is pick up the pieces. HTH, Richard.

One note on the hiden surfaces of the car-like the floors-use clear POR15 and you will always be able to see what is going on under the coating-that is all I have been using for the last several years in the hidden areas, and it is a great way to actually check the longevity of the coating-use the gloss of the product to verify complete and total coverage.

Will

An alternative to using dry ice is to use a heat gun to soften the sound deadener then use a narrow bladed knife to lift it up. Clean the remaining off with turps. I did my entire floors like this and although it took a while, it was very effective.

Well it's been awhile, and I'm STILL waiting on the POR order. I've switched suppliers because the first eventually told me his accountant advised him not to accept paypal from a Canadian bank.

All the sound deadening is off; I'm beginning to get a little surface rust as it's been sitting for too long exposed (garage). Most of it came off nicely with a chisel then wire wheel, softer bits came off with a heat gun and scraper. Bare metal from the firewall to the rear of the hatch.

I would have treated it immediately, but want to use their products for some reason.

I'm going to use a little mason-jar siphon airbrush to apply it. Very little [or no] overspray, and cheap enough not to worry too much about losing a gun.

For now, it's electrical. Just about every connection made in the engine harness is stripped (now rusted) wires in electrical tape. I found my electrical gremlins.

At least it's easy to make nice new grounds while it's down to metal like this. I'm thinking a new grounding block in the cabin to shorten some wires and ground the amps to.

Still waiting on seats, I've taken many pictures, they're at the auto club in my shop camera.

Make sure you have seriously low humidity to spray the POR15-I would also put a serious line dryer in place-I have had serious issues spraying POR15 without taking great care in getting dry air. Damp air promotes out gassing(tiny little bubbles) in POR. In a hidden place, there is no reason not to brush it in.

Also make damn sure you use an excellent air filter and good ventilation for your breathing...you don't want ANY of these fumes/solids in your lungs.

also a little POR goes a long way. I buy the small cans-but then the humidity here is almost always above 90 percent. Pour off what you will use and do not put what you pour off to use back in the original can.

Edited by hls30.com