IGNORED

Anybody Ever Rebuild a Hatch Strut?

Oiluj

Got an aftermarket strut, but don't want to modify the mounts to make it work.

So I drove the roll-pin out of the original strut base and removed the bottom cap. This exposed a gasketed phillips head screw that opens to the gas chamber.

The strut piston seems to hold pressure, but how do I re-pressurize it? Any ideas?

I don't know what the new strut looks like but will some simple bolt-in fabbed brackets work to fit it?

It's a stretch but some serious rock crawlers and pre-runners use Fox air shocks (or some other company's air shocks), and those are pressurized with Nitrogen. They are pressure adjustable so shops are equipped to serve those customers (that don't already have their own bottles). You might need a fitting or valve in place of the screw but maybe it can work? The other challenge is knowing what to pressurize the strut to and if the seals hold at the correct pressure spec.

hope this helps :beer:

I bought one for my 71 240Z from Advance Auto and did not change anything. I'll try to find the part # and let you know. I think it was approx. $22 a few years ago. They had to order it and I made sure that I could return if it was incorrect. Worked fine. Darrell240Z

Well, I tried a couple ideas that didn't quite work, but haven'tgiven up yet.

1) using my copressor I was able to force a bit of air passed the shaft seal, but not nearly enough pressure. Ithink if I made a custom fitting that approach is workable.

2) also tried squirting "freeze-off" spray into the bottom hole and re-sealing, hoping the liquid gas would expand. Worked, but again not enough pressure...

For the time being, I managed to install the aftermarket strut without enlarging the holes in the brackets. It's a very low priority project, but don't plan on giving-up just yet.

In the 90's I had some Bilstines (sp?) rebuilt, these were not for a Z. Maybe their might be a company the rebuilds shocks and struts still?

OOPS I notice we are talking about the rear hatch, well someone might find what I was posting good.

I just grabbed one of my spares I don't see how you can recharge it. It is sealed pity well. Three thoughts come to mind drill a hole and put a valve in from like a mountain bike shock. Find out how it was made since they would have had to pressurize it somehow in assembly. Lastly replace the shock portion.

If someone comes up with a good way please help I rather use the original one on the car or I'll repaint one of my good mechanical struts that has some rust my self

No . LS Technologies. Here's their contact info AJ. And my strut that they redid has not lost any pressure. Look at the links i provided You will see pictures of the strut that they did. I dealt with a fellow named Stephen that was extremely helpful. I think he is the owner if I remember correctly.

LS Technologies Canada Inc.

Head Office - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Telephone: (306) 683-5000

Fax: (306) 683-6403

Business Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00PM CST

General Enquiries email: info@LSTechnologies.ca

Our Address:

LS Technologies Inc.

303 - 103 Street

Saskatoon, SK S7N 1Y9

Canada

Edited by rtaylor