IGNORED

Anyone Rebuilt Heater Box?

TriDawgn

I am currious to know if anyone here has rebuilt the heater box in a 240. On my conquest to remove and disassemble everything in my car for blasting and paint, i have removed the dash and removed the blower motor and heater box. I would like to have these blasted and painted while im at it and the only part i can't quite figure out is how to remove the vent flaps from the box itself. it looks like the only thing holding them on is the pin that runs through the hinge but i dont want to break anything by forcing it... just yet anyways.

If anybody has any ideas i'm all ears, and ill be sure to post some pictures when its all done.

I just finished up the heater box on my son's 73. I removed everything but the doors and glass beaded the enitire thing.Then I painted it rattle can black. I reused the original vinyl skin to the flapper doors,put new foam on the backside and weather strip adhesive to glue them back on.I used new foam weather strip for other joints.Lubed all the cables and pivots.Looks like new! I did not try and remove the doors,I didn't see the need to go that far.Good luck,Roger

Mine was the same. Just clean it as best you can either by media blasting or key it then hit it with a rattle can of black. I put down a zinc undercoat as I had to go back to metal as surface rust was forming. Results are great.

If you want to get the flaps out then I guess the pins are pressed in or peened over (can't recall). Maybe try a slim hole punch are carefully tap and see if they move.