IGNORED

New to Z cars

TorqueAutoMotiv

Hey my name is dan

I am a mechanic by trade but have never cracked the hood on one of these

I believe its a 76 280z

Its been in storage for 5+ years The guy who brought it to me wants fluids changed /plugs cap and wires swapped/ And a new ecu "blackBox" spliced in guess the old one was shot

Few questions

does the gas tank have a drain?

is there anything i should look out for as far as routine stuff?

what is the sparkplug gap on these

heres a pic maybe some one can fill me in on the model

ect...

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

It appears to be a 1977 or 78 280z.

The gas tank should have a drain plug on the bottom center.

The engines are pretty much bulletproof as long as they stay properly oiled. Check the fluids, clean the fuel system (check the injectors). Make sure all electrical connections are clean and tight, especially to the ECU in the driver's side kick panel. Also check the brake and clutch masters, they have a tendency to gum up in storage.

Good luck!

That is a late 70's Datsun 280Z. The year will be listed on the tag in the engine compartment visible in your second picture. You can download the appropriate factory service manual here:

http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

I agree with you, Walt, that would be a '75-'78 for sure. The only caveat I

might add to your assessment is that if it were a build date late in the year,

it could be titled for the succeeding model year. For example, our 280ZX is

VIN# HS130-125717 built in 12/78, but is titled as a 1979 model. FWIW......

All Z Best,...............................Kathy & Rick

Looks like a 76 to me. I know it has a 77-78 type front bumper but I'm going by a couple of things I see under the hood. (split fuel rail, early style charcoal cannister, etc.) Please don't take this the wrong way but if you've "never cracked the hood on one of these" (your words) I'd seek someone who does have experience with them to look at it in person. I'm curious as to how the conclusion that the ECU needs to be replaced was arrived at. You'd be suprised at how many times I've seen that mis diagnosed.

Edited by sblake01

If you need new wiper blades call Motor Sport Auto or order from them online. You can't find the blades at say Wal Mart (told me my car was to old) or your average parts store. But they, MS Auto, has the whole wiper blade assembly for around 20 bucks.

Edited by WingZr0

If you need new wiper blades call Motor Sport Auto or order from them online. You can't find the blades at say Wal Mart (told me my car was to old) or your average parts store. But they, MS Auto, has the whole wiper blade assembly for around 20 bucks.
Did I miss something? Who mentioned wiper blades? My point was I've run across a few "mechanics by trade" that couldn't get their head around the 280Z/ZX EFI system.

Did I miss something? Who mentioned wiper blades? My point was I've run across a few "mechanics by trade" that couldn't get their head around the 280Z/ZX EFI system.

My bad, said he wanted "wires swaped", I read wires as wipers :stupid:

Looks like a 76 to me. I know it has a 77-78 type front bumper but I'm going by a couple of things I see under the hood. (split fuel rail, early style charcoal cannister, etc.) Please don't take this the wrong way but if you've "never cracked the hood on one of these" (your words) I'd seek someone who does have experience with them to look at it in person. I'm curious as to how the conclusion that the ECU needs to be replaced was arrived at. You'd be suprised at how many times I've seen that mis diagnosed.

It is true i have never worked on one of these But im ok with reading and learning as I go plus I am ase trained.

The previous owner told the current owner it was an ecu issue I have actually been busy the last week and just got started on it tonight the owner had a few parts shipped to me and i have down loaded the repair info as listed link above

And trust me I have been triing to find a bit of help from someone who has messed with these and have had no luck yet

Now one peice i got for the car today has no writting on it and i cant make out the numbers on it

was wondering if i can get a little assist in identifiing what it is

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

Edited by TorqueAutoMotiv

Not to get off track again, but I get my wipers right off the shelf from Autozone, they fit easily and perfectly. Are the wipers different on the 240?

Ok after about 3 seconds of reading I realize i maybe screwed when i got the car the tank was bone dry It says priming the fuel pump is difficult with out a full tank

the fuel filter itself had a bit of fuel in it so im wondering what to do about the fuel pump priming